• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Camshaft Position Synchronizer

mercuryseven

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A nasty little device. I was throwing a P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor Fault) and the truck was barely drivable, this is a 2002 Ranger Edge with a 3.0. I parked it and ordered up a Motorcraft synchro, got home at eight and finished about nine.

For those unaware, this is notorious for failing in the Ranger (Post '95) and the best case scenario when it does is cause performance issues, the worst case is it destroys your engine. The shaft running down this is what drives your oil pump and it's being handled by a gear spot welded to it. In my case, the shaft had about 3/4" of play and the gear was severely worn to an almost razor like edge because of the float in the main shaft. This is what does it. As the bushings wear, the softer metal gear is allowed to float against the harder cam, wearing the rectangular gear teeth into more of a sharpened oval shape. This dumps a bunch of metal in your engine and starts a snowball effect. Had this gear failed, the engine would have likely quit but not before it was starved of oil and seized.

If you're over 70K in your truck, change it, it takes longer to clean up than the project does. I got a Motorcraft CPS for $165 but they will give me $50 for the core. You can pick up a reman CPS for about $100 out the door or $50 with a core. There are two types, "With Step Up" and "Without Step Up". This refers to the connector type. All EDGE 3.0's are "Without...". You can either pull your sensor before picking up a new one or just buy the "Without"...they work on everything.

Pull the negative.

The CPS is at the rear of the block, on top.

Two 7/16 bolts hold the sensor to the the synchro, remove these before disconnecting the harness. Pull the sensor off and remove harness - it's a tab release.

Mark the position of the shaft vane onto the manifold with a grease pencil or marker. The alignment tool and the TDC method is pointless, these teeth take a big bite, you're either off terribly or right on. Mark the body position.

The hold down bolt is behind and slightly to the passengers side of the shaft centerline. It's a 1/2" socket on a slight angle back.

Remove old one. Curse it and point while saying things like, "Look how bad this is". Then drop nothing in that hole.

Cover the new one in oil, from o-ring down. Lucas additive.

Drop in CPS. It will self align with oil pump shaft. It's a spiral type gear and the pitch dictates a one tooth clockwise jump. Aim for one back - for six o'clock shoot for five.

Your shaft vane now in place, align CPS body to mark.

Once it's aligned and fully seated against the block, insert the 1/2" hold down bolts.

Connector sensor to wiring harness and reseat onto CPS, tighten two 7/16" bolts.

Reconnect negative.

When you start it, just let it idle. Don't do anything punchy until that CPS can saturate itself with oil. Ford dealer man says to let it go for about a minute like that while the computer makes tiny adjustments to the now consistent firing timing.

Result was a cleared P0340 code and a completely different engine.

The bonus to all of this is that in the process of tracking down this problem, I replaced the ICV, the MAF sensor, the plugs, plug wires, coil, fuel filter, throttle body, cleaned air box...and now, finally, I own a code reader.

Happy Wrenching.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Glad you got it figured. Not complicated at all to change and like I said, the tool is a waste of time.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good write up.
Mods, shouldn't this be in the tech submission forum?

Richard

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Glad you got it figured. Not complicated at all to change and like I said, the tool is a waste of time.
I agree. You shouldn't be working on cars if you can't stab that thing without the tool. I got the KD Tools tool from my buddies MAC guy for about 35 dollars. I found that it made it even more difficult to install, so I just put it aside. It makes a cute paper weight though.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Somewhat off topic. But I need to know if this part that I just got in the mail today is the right CPS.

Motorcraft Synchronizer
Part # DA-2089

Also printed on it:

F8DZ-12A362-AA

I have a 1998 3.0L 4x4 Auto

If anybody could confirm that this is the correct one for my engine that would be great. If it isn't. Well I am SOL because its not returnable.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Somewhat off topic. But I need to know if this part that I just got in the mail today is the right CPS.

Motorcraft Synchronizer
Part # DA-2089

Also printed on it:

F8DZ-12A362-AA

I have a 1998 3.0L 4x4 Auto

If anybody could confirm that this is the correct one for my engine that would be great. If it isn't. Well I am SOL because its not returnable.
From Rock Auto: MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2089 {#F8DZ12A362AA} ENGINE CAMSHAFT SYNCHRONIZER.

It looks same same to me.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I used rock auto to double check before I ordered it from Ebay. I just wanted to double check because he mentioned Without Step Up and With Step Up. Didn't understand what that was lol

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I am a first time poster here. I did the CPS and sensor replacement today and am very pleased w/ the results. My wife said I was at it for 45 minutes. I always go the extra distance for cleanliness on my projects. Motorcraft parts were used and cost $208.00 tax inc. My biggest surprise was the jump in power over the old squeaky unit. The 2000 XLT 3.0 sings now. The Ranger has 155'000 on the clock and in in great shape. Thanks to this site and of course YOUTUBE. Kowboy

Tuner710

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great writeup.
Thanks for the step by step, and all other posters, thanks for the input. It would make a good stickie for future reference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals