• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS-3 20th Anniversary Ford Ranger

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Hmm. I should really check and take notes on that soon. The Explorer is leaving me tonight or tomorrow.
Fast if ya'll are talking about the mount to frame with the two studs that the engine plates sit on then the driver's side is different. The driver's side studs are reversed on the ranger so it would not line up when I tried to install my engine. I used the driver side mount on the explorer and it dropped right in.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Fast if ya'll are talking about the mount to frame with the two studs that the engine plates sit on then the driver's side is different. The driver's side studs are reversed on the ranger so it would not line up when I tried to install my engine. I used the driver side mount on the explorer and it dropped right in.
No, I've got the engine mounts. Just making sure on the radiator mounting brackets.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The radiator out of my explorer dropped right into place of my old ranger radiator.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The radiator out of my explorer dropped right into place of my old ranger radiator.
Maybe it was the 95-97 trucks that were similar to the V8 Explorers but different. :dntknw:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Maybe it was the 95-97 trucks that were similar to the V8 Explorers but different. :dntknw:
I would believe you are correct on that. The only clearance issue I had was the the power steering oil cooler. I had to use the explorer one because the 5.0 oil pan stuck out a little farther. Other than that everything was drop in.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Maybe im out in left field here, but have you thought about maybe mounting a ranger body on a 150 frame/running gear?

If you found a 92-96 150, youd get your TTB D44, 302, 8.8, and stronger frame/t case, etc to boot. Not to mention having the option of dropping in a 460 radiator.

I know not the best for ranger purist, but makes alot of sense if a ranger body wasnt to hard to adapt to a Fseries frame.

If you want uniqueness use a 300 inline 6 :)
So if I did this, a regular cab long bed F-150 would be just over 7-inches to long, and a regular cab short bed would be just over 9-inches to short. I don't want to shorten the bed. I'd have to shorten the wheelbase on the frame. I wonder if I could just move the leaf spring hangers forward 6-inches?

Then I'd have to either put the f-150's radiator in the bed, or swap in an Explorer V-8 radiator. I wonder if the frame is longer in the front forward of the axle?

Id have to keep the Dana 44 TTB. I want it to look like a Ranger suspension. I wonder how much taller the truck would sit with a 4-6 inch Skyjacker Class II F-150 suspension lift than a 4-6 inch Ranger lift. Obviously, a stock F-150 already sits taller than a stock Ranger. Maybe a 4-inch lift on the f-150 chassis and 35's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to shorten the bed. I'd have to shorten the wheelbase on the frame. I wonder if I could just move the leaf spring hangers forward 6-inches?
Could just go std cab shortbox frame and flatbed it letting the axle go where the axle wants to.

Or a longbox is a foot longer than a shortbox so if you stuck a longbox on the std cab longbox frame you only be off an inch in the wheel well and you have have the ever coveted extended cab longbox Ranger Ford never built.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So if I did this, a regular cab long bed F-150 would be just over 7-inches to long, and a regular cab short bed would be just over 9-inches to short. I don't want to shorten the bed. I'd have to shorten the wheelbase on the frame. I wonder if I could just move the leaf spring hangers forward 6-inches?

Then I'd have to either put the f-150's radiator in the bed, or swap in an Explorer V-8 radiator. I wonder if the frame is longer in the front forward of the axle?

Id have to keep the Dana 44 TTB. I want it to look like a Ranger suspension. I wonder how much taller the truck would sit with a 4-6 inch Skyjacker Class II F-150 suspension lift than a 4-6 inch Ranger lift. Obviously, a stock F-150 already sits taller than a stock Ranger. Maybe a 4-inch lift on the f-150 chassis and 35's.
I would think moving the axle forward would be the best bet. I imagine you could cut the frame behind the cab/infront of the axle and shorten it that way, but that would make me nervous for structures sake.

As far as the front of the frame, i have no idea. I could measure my 97 HD and i imagine that would get you in the ballpark.

As far as the lift, im pissing in the dark here, but i would guess 4-6 on a F150 would put you about 3 inches or so over a ranger with the same lift.

EDIT---
How set are you on using an extended cab? I bet a bronco is damn close to a regcab/shortbox ranger...

Edit #2
104in for a 92-96 bronco, 107 for the shortest ranger, according to wikipedia

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How set are you on using an extended cab? I bet a bronco is damn close to a regcab/shortbox ranger...
With his proposed 'round the country tour I think an extended cab would be about priceless. More room to stretch out with, more secure/dry storage for gear.

If forced to go back to a standard cab I would about go nuts. That is where the guns, bow and dogs ride.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
With his proposed 'round the country tour I think an extended cab would be about priceless. More room to stretch out with, more secure/dry storage for gear.

If forced to go back to a standard cab I would about go nuts. That is where the guns, bow and dogs ride.
Kinda what i figured, but thought id ask. My 97 is a ext cab, first one ive ever owned, but eh im kinda indifferent to them.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Jim, I havent read every word of this thread but I just wanted to let you know, should you decide to purchase a NEW Ranger and are interested in getting an inside tour of the plant or even follow the truck being built get a hold of me. I work at Michigan Assembly Plant and Im sure the guys upstairs would all be for some positive press regarding the launch of the new truck. We are all very excited here to get started on the Ranger and Bronco.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jim, I havent read every word of this thread but I just wanted to let you know, should you decide to purchase a NEW Ranger and are interested in getting an inside tour of the plant or even follow the truck being built get a hold of me. I work at Michigan Assembly Plant and Im sure the guys upstairs would all be for some positive press regarding the launch of the new truck. We are all very excited here to get started on the Ranger and Bronco.
Joohn Deere does that with their bigger equipment and GM does that with the Corvettes.

Sounds great but my luck I would get the one that wouldn't start or has a terrible noise or something. :fie:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thanks. I actually had a discussion with the Ford Ranger team and their marketing guy about getting my hands on one to promote and celebrate our anniversary with. God only knows what that would take, or who actually has permission to coordinate anything with us. It would be awesome to take a new Ranger and wheel it around the country though. A brand new truck on the trail would definitely get peoples attention.

I'd love to watch one go down the assembly line.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Dang that would be awesome, but I doubt they really let the public in there :(. I'd love to see a Ranger and or Bronco be built.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Thanks. I actually had a discussion with the Ford Ranger team and their marketing guy about getting my hands on one to promote and celebrate our anniversary with. God only knows what that would take, or who actually has permission to coordinate anything with us. It would be awesome to take a new Ranger and wheel it around the country though. A brand new truck on the trail would definitely get peoples attention.

I'd love to watch one go down the assembly line.
If Ford had any sense at all they'd donate a truck to you for the cross country TRS trip. Heaven only knows that this forum has kept the RBV's running over the years....and probably the reason the Ranger is even coming back.

Keep us posted Jim. Maybe the TRS members need to call up Ford and bug them about it LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals