• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

140k on 2002 edge. Time for a tune up...

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just bought this truck. Original plugs and wires on it. Was sitting in the drive thru and the check engine light started to flash. Mis-fire detected that could cause damage to converters...

Just ran my first tank of gas though the new truck with half a can of sea foam. For sitting on the lot for 6mo it ran pretty decent. Got 22mpg first tank.

Is there a better set of plugs and wires than the factory set? I kinda dough it...

Sent from my DROIDX

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stick with Motorcraft ignition stuff. You won't find any better quality. If you have to go cheap, Autolite plugs seem to be pretty decent too. The biggest thing with plugs is to avoid all of the fancy "Platinum/Iridium mega ultimate plugs". They work like poo in the 3.0. Just stick with the stock style.

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just purchased 6 SP432 motorcraft plugs today and got a set of wires on order. Going to do the plugs tonight.

Sent from my DROIDX

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Installed the plugs tonight. Guess it wasn't the stock plugs in this truck. Pulled out some older Autolite AP104 (single platinum plug) that didn't look too good. The truck seems to run much stronger. Excited to see if this improves my mileage.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
A year ago I did my tune up with the Motorcraft plugs (and this was after heavy research) and it ran so much better! Made more of a difference than my exhaust system, haha!

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well the truck still has a mis-fire. Truck was idling this morning and check engine was still flashing. I know it could use a new set of wire and I have them on order.

What else could be causing the misfire? What other parts should I look at?

Sent from my DROIDX

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A flashing CEL is bad news. It should generate codes that would indicate the problem. If you don't have a code reader, most auto parts stores will read them for you for free. If you get the codes, we will be able to narrow it down for you much easier.
If I had to guess right now, I'd say cam synchro or cam synchro sensor. But getting codes should tell you exactly what issue is generating the CEL.

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
A flashing CEL is bad news. It should generate codes that would indicate the problem. If you don't have a code reader, most auto parts stores will read them for you for free. If you get the codes, we will be able to narrow it down for you much easier.
If I had to guess right now, I'd say cam synchro or cam synchro sensor. But getting codes should tell you exactly what issue is generating the CEL.
I had a solid check engine light last weekend. Turned out to be no. 4 cylinder. I cleared the code and the check engine light hasn't been solid since. Truck runs find down the road. Just when it runs at idle when warm it will flash after about a minute of idling. Idles at about 800rpm. There may be a little miss still. Hopefully the wires solve that.

Edit: I just scanned for codes, and didn't come up with anything. I also did some searching on the forum, and found a thread about the newer 3.0L had a recall about this problem. Learned alot about issue from that thread.

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited:

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The flashing light is the ECM detecting a miss, so yes, you still have a miss.

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Got codes that I have a misfire still on cylinder 4 and now 6. Got a new wire set. Hopefully after I install it tonight it will fix the problem.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would get a new coil pack w/ replacement of plugs & wires. Also the cam synchro & sensor should be looked at too-

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I replaced wires and still get code P0304. At an idle the check engine light flashes still and now my check gauge flickers... all my gauges read in the normal range...

This is got me really confused... only happens when motor is warm. Not cold...

phatspeed7x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Got a new coil on order... getting misfire codes cylinder 4&6 now...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals