• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't know if we've ever hit on this subject directly, but it's gained my curiosity lately.

I see more interest in preparedness and survival, and you can find stuff online that discusses preparing for anything from natural disasters, terrorism, war, and zombies (This better not turn in to a stupid zombie thread :annoyed:).

Actually, this is a good time of year to discuss this because we're going in to winter, and it can be a time when you're most likely to have to deal with being prepared and surviving.

So here are the areas for discussion:

1) Home preparedness (food, water, heat, electric)
2) Vehicle preparedness (equipment, setup, supplies)
3) The perfect survival/bug-out vehicle (mini, fullsize, pickup, suv, other)

Discuss:

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I don't know if we've ever hit on this subject directly, but it's gained my curiosity lately.

I see more interest in preparedness and survival, and you can find stuff online that discusses preparing for anything from natural disasters, terrorism, war, and zombies (This better not turn in to a stupid zombie thread :annoyed:). +1...no zombie post please...LOL

Actually, this is a good time of year to discuss this because we're going in to winter, and it can be a time when you're most likely to have to deal with being prepared and surviving. Here in Loo-z-anna, we stock a month;s supply of everything (gasoline too) up before Hurricane season starts

So here are the areas for discussion:

1) Home preparedness (food, water, heat, electric)
2) Vehicle preparedness (equipment, setup, supplies)
3) The perfect survival/bug-out vehicle (mini, fullsize, pickup, suv, other)

Discuss:
Having been in combat, I realize I can't prepare for everything (I gotta rely on God for 1 or two things). I have the usual camping supplies/hunting supplies (you can never have too much ammo...but from being in war--I also realize that you will NEVER have ENUFF ammo). I believe with the political fools/climate...a 6 month supply of food/water won't be enuff...I'm working on a years supply of food/chlorine tablets for water treatment...and God for the 1 or 2 other things...(I may have to camo my little red Ranger...LOL)

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I bought one of those "food for a year" kits from costco, sams has 'em too. They go on sale periodically so u can get them relatively cheap. Most of it is supposed to last 25 years or so. Bought some silver (physical) and have gold and silver thru a broker. Bought 20 gallons of pure gas (no alcohol) from a mower shop in 5 gal cans for the generator, they're supposed to last years. Also been stocking up on ammo... considering doing a windmill for electricity but they're at least 25K... good payback tho. Nice subject, bound to get a lot of responses.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If civilization collapses, there is no survival for an indiviual. You will have to organize a micro civilization to survive. As in Lucifer's Hammer, you will need to stock up on knowledge so you can plant/raise food, build things, organize defense and law within your community. You won't make it long by stocking up ammo with the plan of stealing food and fuel after your year of stores run out. If you are really worried about the collapse of society, organize now, find a site to retreat to, and set up your vehicle for the trip there. Someone who owns 500 acres, for instance, would be a perfect place to start. Put in a generator, store soybeans to plant a future fuel crop, clear land for fields and pastures, plant fast-growing trees for winter fuel, organize a hierarchy.

The perfect escape vehicle is a schoolbus with a woodstove in it. You can stop along the way and pick up scraps of anything to burn for heat and cooking. It's sturdy enough to survive the Road Warrior scenes you will encounter on the highways on the way to you sanctuary, large enough to carry lots of people and gear, tow another vehicle or trailer, and you can live in it when you get there.

Population will be key. The few will be over-run by the many, so contrary to popular thoguht that individuals will have a better chance, you will need to start gathering a web of people for your future community. You need soldiers, farmers, laborers and people with brains and equipment.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive been interested in this for some time. There are some great websites out there with good information. Ive always heard that older vehicles that arent computer based are the best for a bug-out vehicle. 4wd of course. I keep a small bag in my truck with lighters, food, water, an emergency blanket and some other things. One of those just in case things. If anyone is looking for good books on the subject you need to read a book called Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. Its a fiction book that reads almost like a manual on bugging out. One of my favorite books of all time is called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It really opens your eyes and makes you think. I highly recommend this one.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
One of my fears would be an EMP (Electro-Magentic Pulse) strike. It could come from either a nuclear bomb going off, or an EMP bomb. I would be more concerned of a terrorist attack involving an EMP bomb.

There is some conflicting opinions as to whether or not newer vehicles would run after an EMP. Some think the fact that the electronics are in a metal vehicle insulated by tires that it would survive. My F150 might not survive an EMP, but the V8 in the Bronco II uses a duraspark ignition, but could probably be converted to points with a points distributor quickly. May even be able to just keep a replacement ignition module in a cardboard box wrapped in foil.

So far I think Wills reply is the most eye opening for long term situations. We all belong to an online community, but how many of us are friends with a large group of people right around us that we know, trust, and could depend on?

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have a spring that puts out a million gallons a day so im planning on setting up a hydro-electric generator, grow my own veggies and fruits and if i need fuel, id go ask the local moonshiners on how to make 190 proof alcohol.

as for vehicles, im betting on terrorism and war out breaking with the use of nukes or EMP attacks. i heard one EMP burst from a terrorist attack over the USA can kill our power/communication grids and screw up sesitive electronics.. that could mean the ECM in a vehicle can get toasted...

lucky for me, the 2.3 in my truck was also used in 74 pintos that used a points style ignition and carburator. so i'll probly grab those parts if i come across them, just incase.

although for long long term survival, the most bullet proof engines are domestic I6s like the ford 200/250/240/300, the dodge slant sixes and GM 250/292, im looking for an old truck with a I6 for dirt cheap just incase... and another gen1 ranger to shoehorn a slant 6 into.

next is tires, with no one maintaining roads, tires wont last as long. i'll probly have 5-8 sets mounted on rims to last a while, since i'll be driving on roads most the time, i'll will use factory sized tires and save the offroad work for a different vehicle. i have 8ply tires mounted on my truck too. if all else fails, i would probly end up with tires filled with expanding foam to keep them from blow outs, wont ride good though..

next is fuel, gasoline wont last forever so its a good idea to know how to make your own fuel.. cause im lazy, ima stick to gasoline powered engines, as 80% of you guys know, engines are airpumps and gas powered engines run on vaporized fuel, that means it could run on alot of vapor gases. such fuel sources can be 180-190 proof alcohol, methane gas or even wood gas. you'll have to google how to make it your self though, its complicated..

lastly, im gona talk about weapons, you'll need a wide variety to make the most of it.
first, bow and arrow, why? simple, its quiet and arrows can be reused or even made from scratch.

next, small caliber riffle like a 22LR, why? ammo is so cheap to stock pile thousands and thousands of rounds, although not a powerfull round, it can be used for killing small game, lets face it, your not gona shoot a 7.62 AK47 round at a squirel... yea, i know, squirel, better than eating treebark i guess..
a shotgun with a few thousand rounds, good general purpose gun and excellent for self defense
fairly large caliber riffle witha scope, why? not only will you eventually get sick of eating squirel and want to take down a buck and make some bambi burgers, you can see people coming from a ways away while hiding safely and if need be, you can take them out. .308, 7mm, 30-06 etc are good rounds.

next is a semi/fully auto riffle with around 10000 rounds, guns like mini-30/14s/ar-15s/AK-47 and clones etc are good, personally i like 7.62 for medium rage combat agaist raiders, but .233s tend to be more acurate.. do i realy need to tell you why you need one?

lastly, a handgun or 2, mabey one large one like a 1911 and a small one that can be hid on you, like a 9mm or .380

remeber, you best chance of survival is with friends and family, have a plan well everyone knows were to meet up incase sh1t happens.. also, have a place were you can defend too.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I forgot to mention that older diesels that have a mechanical pump and don't use an electronic ignition would still run after an EMP.

Just as a reminder: This was Chicago last year:

I think size is an issue when it comes to vehicles and bugging out.

I like the midsize trucks for offroading. They'll go more places and get through smaller spaces. They could probably get through traffic better as well. But I don't know if I'd want one on the highway if things turned bad and it became more of a personal security issue. A large 4x4 vehicle could push stuff out of its way, be sturdier, and harder to stop.

This would be cool, except with an enclosed section on the back instead of a tarp.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My F150 might not survive an EMP, but the V8 in the Bronco II uses a duraspark ignition, but could probably be converted to points with a points distributor quickly.
What would an EMP blast do to a coil though?

It would be a very tough time (interesting from afar) because without todays modern farming methods this hunk of dirt will not support nearly as many people that are on it. There are enough people with guns to wipe out most if not all of the wildlife (heck we had a decent start going by the mid 1900's)

Don't bother storing gas long term, it will not last no matter what the alcohol content.

IMO even if you do everything right, there are a lot of people out there that will shoot you in the back to take it... it won't last forever.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i think coils and electric motors would be ok, or fair better than an unprotected computer. people who plan on surviving should know how to grow there own food, i too dont think all the people could be fed with wild animals, hate to say it, but the human population has gotten to large for earth to sustain it without farming... although most people live in cities and they will be boned and probly wont be able to escape.. well lets not go there...

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Main thing we focus on is food and ammo. Lots and lots of both. We need to restock our foodsupply tho. Ever few years we donate the can food to Southaven Samaritans. And restock our supply.

Next is an AR15 and about 10,000 rounds.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think most of us here would consider stocking up on ammo with the thought to steal what we need but for self defense and hunting. An EMP fries everything with a chip that's not shielded. What I read said that a single nuke set off over the east coast at 250 miles high would fry our power grid and all unshielded electronics almost to California.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My survival plans involve a bronco 2 and a shitload of ammo.

my survival plans don't involve hunkering down, they involve drifting, which may work better.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not gonna say I wouldn't steal if it was life or death for my family.. Bc things in that kind of situation would get weird and weird outcomes will happen. As long as I could rely on hunting to feed my family then I'd go that route.

But yes the main point would be self defense and hunting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals