• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

19bonestock88's "not-so-bone stock", and sadly not an 88 build thread...

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
So, I figured I would post a build thread...
*FIRST POST SAVED FOR PICS AND SPECS/MODS*

Specs:
1995 Ford Ranger XL, reg cab, short bed, two wheel drive, E4 paint code

4.0L OHV V6, manual trans, code 92 axle(3.08 gears, open carrier)

Mods:
SHOW-
Splash grille conversion, black housing projector headlights, various plasti-dipped things on exterior of truck, including the tail lights and grille, and an offset racing stripe, Pioneer sound system upgrade(just the HU for now)

GO-
Throttle cable mod, catback exhaust with lightning style exit... Stock otherwise... For now

...and I figured I would post a "shopping list", so to speak...

Looking for non-chrome bumpers in agreeable condition(willing to trade my chrome ones)...

Looking for XLT door panels, crank windows and manual locks, grey in color...

Looking for Expo full length center console, and OHC, also grey in color...

Want to find a tach gauge cluster that works properly and maybe correct year... My tach is way off, and the ultragauge I have mounted doesn't take readings quickly enough to shift by when driving quickly...

Last edited:

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So, I figured I would start with some history...

So, around tax time 2014, I knew I had a size able refund coming and I told my wife I was gonna spend $2k fixing up my 88 ranger that I had then... She threw a huge fit, saying that she hated that truck, would rather never hear it run again than me spend that much fixing it... I suggested the idea of buying a newer model, and she agreed...

So, I went to the internet, looking for my next truck... And I'll be honest, I wasn't looking for what I ended up with, I was originally trying to find a decent 98-up 4cyl/5speed... The issue there was that if the truck was in halfway agreeable condition, the owner/dealer wanted an arm/leg, and if it was affordable, it was beaten to death, rusted to death, near mechanical death, or some combo thereof... And then I seen the craigslist ad, just a few words, all in small caps: "95 ranger, 4.0/5speed. 2 wheel drive. runs/drives/looks great. $1900 or best offer

The pictures showed a near mint third gen truck that looked like when I first got my first gen, so I called, and two days later(still snow on ground), I made the 70 mile drive to "check it out"...in reality, I had already nearly decided, and went with cash in hand and the license plate off my first gen in pocket... After a short test drive, I agreed to the asking price, and did the first mod before ever leaving the PO's driveway, the nearly free throttle cable mod...

Last edited:

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My first mod came two days after purchase... I literally got bored and decided to tint my stock tails with plasti-dip...

And then I got bored again and dipped the stock grille, bumper trim, and lower valance in black...

And my next couple mods came out of necessity... I creamed a deer at 55 mph, obliterating the stock grille and headlight/corner light on the passenger side, and totally FUBARing the fender... I replaced the grille with a Splash grille, dipped to match the rest of the theme...the projector headlights, well, they were same price for the pair of them than it was for a single stock replacement, so I sprang for the upgrade... And I got a used corner light from a neighbor that wasnt broken all to crap, and straightened my fender with a rubber mallet, resulting in...

Last edited:

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You might notice that along the way, the goofy and awkward looking dealer applied graphics were slowly going away... Lots of time spent there with a dremel and fabric buffing pads...

Anyway, not too long after, I had a run-in with some kid, and damaged my exhaust to where it leaked really bad, so I did a catback exhaust... Did it make the truck faster? I don't know, but it sounds cool!

And then I got bored again, and with winter approaching quickly, I decided to get out my half empty cans of black plasti-dip and tackle one last project before winter... AN offset racing stripe, in matte black to sharply contrast with the E4 red... And guess what's nearly completely gone?

Last edited:

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A couple weeks ago(shortly after doing the stripe), I did a tune up... Sea-foamed the engine, new copper plugs, new wires and air filter, cleaned TB, changed the oil... That did make it run better... Passing a d-bag on the interstate who didn't want me to merge, I had it going about 170 km/h... It was still pulling, but I got my point across, and let off...

Sadly though, the stock speakers are just about fried... I guess they didn't like the additional wattage from the aftermarket HU...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals