• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Angle Driveshaft

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am having issues getting a front drive shaft built. I cannot get enough bend out of the Ujoint in a single carden design(stock) to even connect to the pinion. And I'v been told I cannot have a double carden design with the slip yoke at the Tcase. I talked with Jess at High Angle Driveline, and he said he could get me setup, but in the neighborhood of a $1000:icon_surprised:

My truck is an 87 B2, Leaf sprung SAS, high pinion D44, front axle stretched 6". Borg Warner 1350 Mechanical Tcase.

18" from ground to center of the pinion, 26.5" from ground to center of slip yoke in the transfercase, 31" from slip yoke to Ujoint cradle on the pinion.

Any ideas?

-Jester

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And I'v been told I cannot have a double carden design with the slip yoke at the Tcase.
Any ideas?

-Jester
Just throwing this idea out until someone with more knowledge can answer. Replace the tc with one with a fixed front yoke and a double-cardan shaft. I may have an extra fixed yoke tc available soon if that works. Also you may be able to use a dremel to clearance around the u-joints to get a few more degrees of movement.
Good luck,

Richard

satan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
In a double-cardan shaft, any slip has to be in the shaft itself...

I generally work these kinda oddities with Tom Woods ( http://www.4xshaft.com ); they've created some excellent solutions over the years.

For a 31" shaft that rises only 8.5" -- your angle should be pretty close to 15* at the D44 and 15* +/- whatever the angle at the t-case output is -- 15* is kinda the ragged edge for deep yokes on a 2-u-joint setup. If you get much droop - you could be binding -- an as you're saying - whatever yokes you're working with are already binding the joints before you can get em installed...

By the sound of things you've got your D44 set-up for a conventional 2-joint shaft (essentially, the D44's pinion & the T-case's front output shaft are parallel), right ?

If you were to switch to a dual-cardan from this 2-joint-shaft configuration, you'd need to roil the D44's pinion to be directly inline with your new drive shaft (pointed at the T-case's output), which would necessitate rolling your steering, mounts and all that as well ...

Give Tom a call, he can work ya a double-ended Dual Cardan type of shaft in that 31" which'll prolly require changing the front output of your 1350 to a flange (he can mill ya something if it's not already in stock)

Last edited:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just throwing this idea out until someone with more knowledge can answer. Replace the tc with one with a fixed front yoke and a double-cardan shaft. I may have an extra fixed yoke tc available soon if that works. Also you may be able to use a dremel to clearance around the u-joints to get a few more degrees of movement.
Good luck,

Richard
I think thats the last resort. I already have the rear shaft built and running, and would prefer to not have to modify it(lengthened/shortened). I guess I need to start looking into Tcase dimensions.

In a double-cardan shaft, any slip has to be in the shaft itself...

I generally work these kinda oddities with Tom Woods ( http://www.4xshaft.com ); they've created some excellent solutions over the years.

For a 31" shaft that rises only 8.5" -- your angle should be pretty close to 15* at the D44 and 15* +/- whatever the angle at the t-case output is -- 15* is kinda the ragged edge for deep yokes on a 2-u-joint setup. If you get much droop - you could be binding -- an as you're saying - whatever yokes you're working with are already binding the joints before you can get em installed...

By the sound of things you've got your D44 set-up for a conventional 2-joint shaft (essentially, the D44's pinion & the T-case's front output shaft are parallel), right ?Correct

If you were to switch to a dual-cardan from this 2-joint-shaft configuration, you'd need to roil the D44's pinion to be directly inline with your new drive shaft (pointed at the T-case's output), which would necessitate rolling your steering, mounts and all that as well ...That is not an option, it would require major modifications to the axle itself.

Give Tom a call, he can work ya a double-ended Dual Cardan type of shaft in that 31" which'll prolly require changing the front output of your 1350 to a flange (he can mill ya something if it's not already in stock)
Whats required to change the front output from a slip yoke to a fixed yoke/flange?

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The best thing to do would be to switch to a fixed yoke and call Carolina Driveline up. They do all of the driveshafts for the guys I ride with and price & customer support are #1.

I don't know if the front output shafts are the same or not. You could switch to a 1354 and not have any problems.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
try www.driveshaftsuperstore.com great customer service and reasonable prices, and good quality stuff

call or email, tell em what u got, and what u are trying to do and they will take care of u

Last edited:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So where can I find a manual BW1354? If its not raining tomorrow I'm going to go to Pick'n'Pull and see if I can find one.

-Jester

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals