• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

door weathershield..is it needed?

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Just finished rebuilding my power window motors on my 90 B2, using the plastic gear plugs, they work like new now, yeah! My question is do I really need to reinstall the plastic film that covers the inside of the door? It came off in pieces, and I really don't see what benefit it has.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would reinstall or make another one out of some plastic. The reason its there is to protect the back of the door panel from moisture and to keep moisture down in the cab. Without it, you will probably have issues with your windows fogging up and or door panel warping. While you have it apart, make sure the drains at the bottom of the door arent clogged.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
duct tape and some plastic vapour barrier

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I would reinstall or make another one out of some plastic. The reason its there is to protect the back of the door panel from moisture and to keep moisture down in the cab. Without it, you will probably have issues with your windows fogging up and or door panel warping. While you have it apart, make sure the drains at the bottom of the door arent clogged.
Ok, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure which direction the barrier was supposed to help protect. The inside metal steel parts of the window gears are rusty but working, so moisture is obviously getting in there. Taking your advice, making a new barrier out of heavy plastic and spray on 3m adhesive. Thanks for the input.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
duct tape and some plastic vapour barrier
Not duct tape, the glues dries out and will let go. If you use tape, use 'tuck' tape, the same staff that the insulators use on your house poly.

Richard

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not duct tape, the glues dries out and will let go. If you use tape, use 'tuck' tape, the same staff that the insulators use on your house poly.

Richard
good to know i'll have to replace mine

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, another question: Whats the purpose of the little plastic rectagular frame with the flap of rubber attached? Located in the bottom rear corner of each door in my 90 B2. Some kind of air vent?

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, another question: Whats the purpose of the little plastic rectagular frame with the flap of rubber attached? Located in the bottom rear corner of each door in my 90 B2. Some kind of air vent?
yes thats all i know though :D

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if i'm not mistaken is to level the inside outside air when you slam the door, so your ears don't pop, had a car that it didnt' work it, its annoying

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i'm not mistaken is to level the inside outside air when you slam the door, so your ears don't pop, had a car that it didnt' work it, its annoying

ya i belive your right about that

and about the plastic paper stuff for the door u can use calk to put it on some kind of silicon calk will work because the tape will dry out over time even duct tape but the tape will work for a little if u dont want to go buy some calk

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up using some 3M general purpose spray adhesive and some heavy mil Home Depot contractor cleanup bags. Just split the bag down the middle and I had enough to recover both doors. One odd thing I found was that the driver side had access holes for the power window actuator mounting screws, but the passenger side did not...Also, someone had previously tried to repair the passenger side with 5/16" nuts instead of the silicone gear plugs...odd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals