• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats average cost you'd expect for getting a A4LD rebuilt w new Torque Converter?

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was quoted 600 to 700 if i brought him the tranny out of the bronco II and he'd put in a new/or reman torque converter. This is from a place of business not shade tree also. Is this good?:icon_confused:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
yes, but ask if everything is replaced, or if its a replace if its worn out, and if it looks good keep it kind of rebuild. also ask if the frontpump is replaced. that seems kinda cheap. considering i paid 160 just for my t/c

sounds like a good time for a fm146 or m5od swap

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
There are two types of rebuilds.

Soft parts only
Soft and Hard parts

The soft parts are when a shop just replaces the clutch pack and bands...services the valve body, verifies all is ok, and then finishes the job.

The hard parts? That's when a shop replaces not just the clutch packs---but also the steel parts that often get scored or heat stressed...(also the springs, thrust washers, etc...In most cases we'd like to think that's part of the soft rebuild--but it all depends on the shop)

The price quoted including a reman torque converter? Is fair for a hard rebuild. I've found 'em for sale on eBay rebuilt without the converter going for about $550ish or so. (with a warranty that is a long one---so I suspect it's a 'hard parts' rebuild, cause the soft parts rebuild? Won't last much longer then a year or so.)

Others may have different opinions...this is just mine.

For what it's worth? I'm considering swapping out the A4LD out of my BII and converting it to manual come spring/early summer. (all depends on the money)

S-

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ill find out if its a hard or soft rebuild and if i can have the parts afterwards. I would love to wait till spring but i need to get it running my SAAB is too low and too much power to be driveable in any real snow. So the sooner the better. I assume an A4LD is too difficult for an inexperenced trans builder?

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that trans rebuild is beautiful but right now outta my price range

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
check this out http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm. I'm getting ready to do a build and will probably be going with the combo kit and 1800 stall converter.
dont waste your money on the 1800 stall, yea they sell good stuff, and i would love to be able to afford one of their a4lds. anyways use a 92 ranger 4.0 low stall t/c. i got one from advance auto and it dropped right in, and behind the 2.8/2.9 its around 1800 stall speed. i like it so much better then the stock 2500 stall converter. sucks that im about to swap for a 5spd. anyways i paid 150 for it, might be wanting to sell it soon

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.0 low stall just means it engauges sooner? meaning sooner shifts it doesn't mess with the inner auto gearing? i don 't know much about auto trans

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
stock stall is 2500, which is how high the rpms get before the vehicle moves. u have to press the gas more to make it move. the lower the stall the less throttle it takes to go. less slippage, lower trans temp, better gas mileage. shifting and converter lock up still work the same

i went up from 9.5-10mpgs to 18.5 with low stall t/c and went from 61 to 59 jets in the carb. big difference. just sucks i did the t/c swap when my trans was crapping out

JTothII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the low stall tc should work well with the 4.0 transplant into my bronco II as the 4.0 makes good low end torque. the lock up and shift points should still allow ok milage even with 4.56 gears

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Will i have to mess with anything like idle on the fuel injection i assume no?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Will i have to mess with anything like idle on the fuel injection i assume no?
Idle should be not be an issue. Keep in mind if you change your stall speed? The only adjustment factor will be YOU for the most part. It takes getting used to with changes on how the truck will act. LOL. Should be fine.

S-

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm good info to know guys Thanks for all this help i'll be askin the place tomorrow on what type of rebuild it will be

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals