• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I MAY have exceeded the payload

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
make sure to get RTV at the same time, you don't need a diff gasket, most people just use RTV, personally, i would use both... next time i do my fluid, the gasket i just got will go on, and RTV to hold it in place... just a little now...

so that's a 3.45 8.8 you said? l/s?
No, the one in the pic is a 3.45 7.5" open diff. And while waiting for the local auto parts store to get my U-bolts in, I decided to de-grease the junkyard axle. When I flipped it over to do the bottom, I noticed the plastic diff cover was damaged by the junkyard. Fresh, clean crack in it. So now I need a diff cover for a 7.5". I made a whole thread about Autozone's stupid parts lookup computer system. LOL.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 3.73 Ranger axle I'll trade you for whatever Ranger axle you have, if you come down and get it. We'll need to take it out of my pickup trailer. I can't gaurentee the condition of the brake cables so you'll need to tkae that type of stuff out of your own axle, but the axle itself is good.
I'd be interested in that, when I get the time. I'm guessing it would be about a 600 mile round trip; and I'm sure the junkyards around the Chicago area would have a 3.73 if I looked hard enough. I don't plan another axle swap for a while though. I think i'll be alright with my 3.45. I guess it would be which is cheaper, roughly $200 a junkyard would charge for a 3.73, or 600 miles of gas. I suppose if I can haul the axles on my hitch-rack thing behind my Buick Century and get 34 mpg at 65 mph, it would be worth the trip. I have a friend in Indianapolis anyway.

The axle I took out was given to me by the local junkyard back in 04, and I TOLD THEM 4 OR 5 TIMES, .. AXLE CODE 84!! But they gave me this "mystery axle" with no tag on it and it's WAY off. It's also an 8.8" while the OEM axle is a 7.5".

I was looking at 63-64 mph actual speed on GPS when the speedometer said 55, with no other variables. Same trans, same tires, etc.

Other than the unknown ratio, (with no other variables, the math works out to roughly 3.00 ?? :icon_confused:) the axle I removed has nothing wrong with it, unless it's supposed to be a limited slip. I'm pretty sure it's functioning as an open diff. I lost track of how many times I had to fire up the farm tractor last winter when the stupid thing got stuck in the driveway. The truck was driven once in floodwater about halfway up the diff, but when I got home I changed the oil and there was no evidence of water in there. Oil came out black, not creamy. The new oil I put in said "limited slip" on the jug.

Right now there's no brake hardware on it, (I'll put the junkyard drums on just for sliding around in storage as soon as I get them off the 3.45) and I put a plastic bag over the nipple for the rubber vent hose to keep crap from getting in there, even though it looks like there already is some crap inside the nipple. The plastic bag is secured with baling wire wrapped around like a hose clamp. I also put anti-seize on the threads for the little bolt on top that holds the brake line tee-fitting, and on the threads for the bolts that hold the U-joint thing on. (You know those 4 bolts that require a 12 mm, 12 point box end wrench to remove.)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but for now it's going in the barn.

The parts store just called, .. my U-bolts are in a day early. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If we trade, I don't care if the axle you give me has drums or brakes on it. It just needs to hold up my water trailer.

3.73 is 8% more torque over a 3.45 and also 8% more rpm.

94xcab4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
RIP 94
Make / Model
chevy cc 4x4 15
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah i think you are fine. This is funny though i was in menards i bought my landscaping bricks and there was a guy back there with a little truck can't remeber toyota, s10, ranger, or nissan 2wd shortbox reg cab. The forklift operater loaded mine onto my 2500 and i had like 3 times the blocks, and he says man that was easy i should have had them do that for me, then he said man i hope my tires don't pop on the way home. Then he asked how come my truck and tires weren't squiting like his were. lol the fork lift operator was lhao as he drove away.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i think you are fine. This is funny though i was in menards i bought my landscaping bricks and there was a guy back there with a little truck can't remeber toyota, s10, ranger, or nissan 2wd shortbox reg cab. The forklift operater loaded mine onto my 2500 and i had like 3 times the blocks, and he says man that was easy i should have had them do that for me, then he said man i hope my tires don't pop on the way home. Then he asked how come my truck and tires weren't squiting like his were. lol the fork lift operator was lhao as he drove away.
Don't get me started, ... I could tell you stories about dumb people all day long. I drive 18 wheelers for a living. Trust me, I've met plenty of idiots out there, LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals