• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Manual Transmition Lubricant Does Not Normally Need Changed"-Chilton Ranger '91-'99

RangerNeophyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"Manual Transmition Lubricant Does Not Normally Need Changed"-Chilton Ranger '91-'99

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.3L manual
Transmission: R-1
2wd

I have read throughout this forum and many others that the transmission fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles or so. In the Chilton's however it reads "Manual transmission lubricant does not normally need changing during the life of the vehicle, but if you wish to do so..." They truck has over 180,000 miles on it. Any thoughts? Is the Chilton wrong? Anyone have a Haynes? What does it say?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I'd change it. It probably doesn't loose much lubrication properties, but it does get dirty and full of bits from wear. Of course a company would suggest "lubed for life" or really long change intervals because it's beneficial for them. When you don't change oils you save money!, then stuff wears out faster and breaks, then it's prohibitively expensive or difficult to replace, and then you buy a NEW truck!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I try to change my manual trans fluid whenever I do a clutch, so about 100K miles. Manual transmissions are not like autos where the clutching is happening in the fluid and releasing bits of clutch material into the fluid, and it isn't put under the same shear stresses so it will last longer and retain it's lubricating properties, but it does still need changed from time to time to protect the trans.

But Cap is mostly right about why companies extend service intervals, or say "lubed for life". The only part he missed is that by extending the service interval they can claim a lower cost of ownership and it makes the product look more competitive.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd say change it.

What, it might take 3.5 quarts????

Just for peace of mind, that's worth it I say.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, change it. My last M5OD had over 440,000 km on it when I scrapped the truck and it shifted as smooth as anything...because I changed the fluid about every 100,000 km. Mind you, when I bought the truck it already had 250,000 km on the clock.

I've even bought and added that TransMedic stuff at one point when it was making this really loud whine and was shifting rough. The fluid was a bit low on that but after I topped it up within a week the whine was gone and shifting was smooth again...

Only thing I'd suggest for that job is some kind of pump bottle because it's kinda awkward trying to pour something into it the way it sits near the hump of the body...

RangerNeophyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great!

Let me just say that I am really impressed with this community. This was my first post, and I got really helpful feedback. I wasn't expecting this kind of helpful reception. Much appreciation. Sounds like later today or tomorrow shits gettin' changed.

veefer800canuck- "What, it might take 3.5 quarts????"

I'll buy four then for good measure.

Captian and adsm-

Noted, guess it makes business sense for them to recommend something that would make them more money in the long run.

Mark-

Yeah, I'm going to buy the pump. They don't seem to be too expensive. I saw someone take off the shifter, and fill it through the top. As my name suggests, I'd much rather not ruin my shifter placement by doing something improperly. Simply, I'm learning as I go. Pumps seems like a safer option. :icon_thumby:

RangerNeophyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd say change it.

What, it might take 3.5 quarts????

Just for peace of mind, that's worth it I say.
I ended up taking out right around 2 and 3/4 quarts and putting in right about the same. I used a bubble level to make sure I was on nearly complete flat ground. Every where I read says 3 or so quarts. Hope I didn't mess something up.

For future readers:

On the R-1 transmission the fill and drain plug both take a 15/16 socket. If you do it just right you can drain it directly into a litter Coke bottle. I used a cheap aluminum pan to catch the excess drips. Mind you I did have a small puddle of fluid on the pavement when finished. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. I also used a pump. That little thing saved me a headache. I'd say it was worth the $6 or so. Also, I did this all without putting the car on blocks. There was enough room under my truck to get it done. Just took a bit of patients and dedication. To finish I put a bead of blue bolt sealant (Loctite) because I didn't have any thread tape handy.

Good luck!

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know you already changed it, but If you ever want to take off your shifter tower, you can pour the fluid right into the top until it comes out the fill plug on the side.

RangerNeophyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know you already changed it, but If you ever want to take off your shifter tower, you can pour the fluid right into the top until it comes out the fill plug on the side.
Yeah, I saw that, but didn't feel confident enough in my own abilities to not screw something up. Some one in another thread said to make sure the gear stays is in neutral before removing the shifter tower another one said leave it in gear. I was unsure and thus the pump.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, I saw that, but didn't feel confident enough in my own abilities to not screw something up. Some one in another thread said to make sure the gear stays is in neutral before removing the shifter tower another one said leave it in gear. I was unsure and thus the pump.
This was my concern also. I took the easiest way on the path of least resistance...it has been learned that if something isn't broken...it will break or mess up just when you think you can trust it...so it makes a one hour job into a two day job sometimes...

Anyway...congrats...and let us know if the new fluid makes a difference...:icon_thumby:

RangerNeophyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This was my concern also. I took the easiest way on the path of least resistance...it has been learned that if something isn't broken...it will break or mess up just when you think you can trust it...so it makes a one hour job into a two day job sometimes...

Anyway...congrats...and let us know if the new fluid makes a difference...:icon_thumby:
Shifting is far smoother than before. The dirty fluid I pulled out definitely needed changing. Yeah, worth the time and effort.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Teflon thread tape is really only appropriate for tapered pipe threads...

The fill and drain plugs on the mazda built M5OD-R1 uses strait thread plugs which are sealed with a metallic "crush washer".

I change my manual transmission fluid every other time I do an engine oil change

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals