• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compression test questions

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just did a compression test on the '96 Expo.5.0 and I'm not sure what the results should be.

Engine was stone cold and outside of the TM headers, box stock.

Throttle body wedged wide open and all 8 cylinders were between 130 and 135 psi.

I'm pleased the results were so even but are those results within reason?

Basic math has about 140 psi the max the cold 9.5CR 302 should produce but my (probably fading) memory had me expecting more like 150 to 180 psi.

Yea, I know a compression test should be done hot but I'm simply to much of a wimp to try the test on a hot engine in such a tight engine bay. I'll leave the deliberate branding to the masochists.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The way you tested is fine, I never test warm because the test results are to find abnormal cylinders not maximum compression.

Compression psi has alot to do with crankshaft speed, so battery condition and starter motor has an effect.
And all spark plugs should be removed to get maximum crank speed.

Than being said, I also would expect above 150psi across the board.

But because all cylinders are within 10% of each other I would say the test shows no ring or valve issues and probably good head gaskets.

I have found the simple formula of compression ratio X 18psi will give approx. good compression test numbers for mid-mile engines, use 18.5 for rebuilt/new.
'96 Explorer 5.0l should be about 9.0:1 compression ratio, actually 8.8:1 they had the large chamber heads
9.0 x 18 = 162psi

If it was 9.5CR then I would expect 171psi, 9.5 x 18 = 171

The 18 is based on air pressure at sea level, 14.5psi + 3.5psi for heat pressure when compressing the air.
If you were testing at 2,000ft above sea level then use 17 for the 1psi drop in local air pressure
9 x 17 = 153

4,000ft
9 x 16 = 144

No wonder the people living in Denver all want turbo chargers, lol.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You know, my sister keeps telling me that she looses coolant when she goes to Denver. She already has a turbo though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals