• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 *4.0L to 5.0L swap* Looking for best options

Dallius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard. Don't do dumb shit.
Good day to everyone -

First let me say I appreciate any and all advice you gentleman are able and willing to give. This is not my first time on any type of forum and truly know information is plentiful but not always sound.

I've spent the greater part of two weeks now searching threads here and on every possible forum I can find for information pertaining to a swap I'm wanting to do. Until now, I wanted to get as much knowledge as I could before I *opened my mouth* and began asking questions. I hope not to ask any stupid questions so please forgive me in advance and know I'm asking them out of ignorance and not a lack of intelligence.

Here's what I have and what I'm looking to do:

1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 with a stock 4.0L, stock automatic trans and blown bw1354 t-case (thanks ex-wife) with ~240K and a 3" body lift. The truck was show quality for ten+ years and just got to the point where it became my DD. Exterior looks great but the motor and trans are getting tired and I'm looking to do a swap now.

From all the info I can gather, the best donor vehicle is a wrecked but still mechanically sound 1996 to early 1997 Explorer or Mountaineer 5.0L with the GT40(non-P) heads. It will have almost everything I'll need including the 4R70W trans and BW4405 t-case. I'll also be able to swap the rear axle for the 8.8 Diff and gain disc brakes though I know some modifications to the driveshaft may be needed.

I know I need a few additional parts including an oil filter relocation kit, motor mounts and dual sump oil pan, all of which are available from Advanced Adapters. I also know the heater box will need to be modified as well as other issues such as FEAD related accessories will need addressing (water pump, alternator etc)

Here are my questions and please feel free to add/subtract from my list.

1) MAJOR generalized question here....Is the donor vehicle of a 96 or 97 Explorer the *best* option or is there a better choice/combo?

2) I've read a number of posts related to the earlier versions of the AOD and BW1350 combination....Given my tired A4LD isn't an option and my BW1354 is shot, am I best to stay with the donor Explorer 4R70W/BW4405 combo or should I look for 5.0L from say a mid 90's Mustang with the A9P computer and the AOD it came with?? Then purchase a stand-alone BW1350???

3) If I'm correct in my above choice of donor vehicles, I'm going to want to add some ponies to the motor but not break the bank. I'd like to see it jump from the stock 215HP to maybe in the 275-300 range if feasible. Here are some thoughts I'd like opinions on:

a) Adding the H.O. Mustang cam (~20HP gain) or maybe the Comp Cam XE264HR (~35HP gain) and appropriate roller rockers.
b) Toss the exhaust manifold for a good aftermarket header (maybe Hedman 8840?) or full custom on the exhaust?? (20-40HP gain)
c) Plug-in ponies in the form of Superchip, Jet or Hypertech???

I'm a master tech in my field and know someone who's a jacka$$ asking the questions isn't going to get my best answer....I pray I haven't asked or stated anything stupid so if I have....please forgive me.

I REALLY appreciate your time and valued experience here.

Dale

Last edited:

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in the same boat

I too have a '94 with the 4.0 and recently decided to make the jump to the 5.0. From what I've been reading the '96-'97 explore is the best for our '94's because of the simplicity. Its going to be nice to have obd2, vs the original obd1. If you go the mustang route your still stuck with obd1. My advise is to stick with the full explorer drive train, minus the awd transfer case. I come from the 5.0 Foxbody Mustang world, so I can honestly say, obd2 is a very nice thing to have. My fox mustang is forever stuck with obd1 and custom laptop tuning. Your power ideas are in the right direction, but I'd start with the headers and porting the lower intake manifold. There's more power in the explorer (gt40) intake manifold. Google "TMoss Gt40" for more info on the power potential.

As far as the additional parts you listed, my personal opinion is to avoid Advanced Adapters, lol. Stick with other factory parts that work. Don't get me wrong, they have great parts, but there prices are high too. For instance, I just purchased my dual sump oil pan, oil pump pickup, oil filter adapter, and oil relocation kit from Summit for $150. if I went to Jamesduff, or advanced adapters I'd be broke. Lol. The motor mount plates that are on the explorer can be modified to work on our '94's. So no need for any parts there, look at Rangersvt's build thread for that. Looks like your off to a pretty dam good start.:beer:

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You're correct on the donor, stick to the 96-97 explorer with ONLY the GT40 heads, not the P heads. Front FEAD you will use the explorer setup, complete. 88400 headers will work. Motor mounts, i normally would suggest the stock mounts with plates, but if you go with the mustang mounts, with you having the body lift, you may not have to modify the heater box. As stated, get your oil pan, oil filter relocation kit (transdapt part #1127 for single filter, 1227 for dual filter kit), 90* block adapter (transdapt part # 1413), and male block adapter ( summitracing part # all92003) from summitracing.com. For tcase you can choose an np 208, np205, 1356 (with slight mods), 4406, 4407 or atlas...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
RangerSVT,
I was hoping you'd see this thread. I was planning on using the original 5.0 mount plates and modifying them like you did in your 1st post if your SVT build thread. My question is, I've seen some people use the flat mounts, and others have to raise one side of the flat mount by an inch or so. Can you shed some light on this? I'd appreciate it.

Dallius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks Stangman for the info on the GT40's. After looking at my list, I'm really surprised I'd forgotten working them over. It only makes sense given their potential.

Appreciate the advice on Advanced Adapters, Jamesduff and Summit too. I'm not apposed to spending money on a quality part but if someone else has something that's just as good AND cheaper....well DUH.

Last edited:

Dallius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I second Stangmans sentiments....happy as hell you found this thread SVT. Most of the quality info I've been able to find was either directly or indirectly from you. Thanks for parts list and advice.

I'd forgotten to state this earlier but reading your list of T-cases, I realized I should have mentioned it before. I'm not a huge offroad guy but mostly used the 4x4 for heavy snow and a few offroad trips. I liked having the Electric Shift option of my 1354 hence the reason I listed the 4405 4wd t-case vs. the AWD version or a manual. Is the 1356 a better option than the 4405 on the Explorer?

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
On the tcase, I'd go with the 1356E or 4406E, and just swap motors (install your electric motor off your 1354 on the new tcase, this will give you plug n play 4x4).
On the motor mount, i initially did SVT using the stock explorer plates as to show how to use as much as possible from the donor. I have since installed spacers on the driver side (like i make all my plates now) to level out the motor. 95+ can use the plates i make and be good. On 94 and older trucks, especially without a body lift, the heater box can be a challenge. I just finished a swap in an 88 B2 ( http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147302&page=2 my work starts at post #76) and both modifying the heaterbox and the engine mounts took some work. Using the mustang mounts would have been better, but the stock explorer manifolds were hitting the frame going that low. If he would of had the 88400 headers, it would have worked, but he had P heads...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't mean to thread jack, lol.

I have a 3" body lift on my '94. I'm not opposed to getting the better Hedman 88400 headers, or using the stockers. If it were you, what would you do on a '94 with a 3" bodylift? I'm leaning towards the 88400 and the mustang mounts, IF you say its the best route.

I really appreciate your time, your a life saver!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
On a 94 with a body lift, I'd run the mustang mounts and the 88400's. I would like to see if the plates would clear on the 94 with the body lift. HWW is a 94, but I'm not running a body lift or V8 in that setup...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals