• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 5.0L has a miss

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I need some pointers here. Just took my truck up to O'Rielly's and put it on there code scanner. What came back was and error P0171 (System to Lean Bank 1). First off which side of the motor is Bank 1? Secondly this miss really got bad after I changed spark plugs last weekend. I can't afford to be just throwing parts at this thing to get this miss fixed. I want to know what I need to get it fixed and be done with it. So far I have replaced the spark plugs as I said last week end, got a PCV valve, replaced one of the vacume hoses I was questioning, and replaced the spark plug wires, and still have a miss. Personally I am leaning towards a bad injector but would like some conformation on my thought there from others that work on fords more than I have. This is my fist Ford I have owned so I am not to familiar with them.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
At idle, while driving, at WOT or all the time?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bank 1 is passenger side
Did you get a specific cylinder miss code, i.e. P030"2" = miss on cylinder #2
P0300 = random misfire, so probably wouldn't be specific injector issue, may be fuel pressure or MAF issue if lean code is with it.

I would disable coil, you want a no start, then crank engine.
Pull out spark plugs and look for dry plug, bad injector

What are you running on the 5.0l?
Year of computer and spark system?

Last edited:

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
the trouble code was p0171. at idle you kindle hear a miss but it idles fairly smooth, but when you hit overdrive it really chuggs at lower RPMs if that makes sense

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about high RPMs?
Is it just a "dead spot" in low RPMs, like the TPS(throttle position sensor) is sending the wrong voltage at a certain spot.

Do you have an EGR system?

Do you have a vacuum meter? ($25)
Very good tool to diagnose gasoline engines, not just for vacuum leaks

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the trouble code was p0171. at idle you kindle hear a miss but it idles fairly smooth, but when you hit overdrive it really chuggs at lower RPMs if that makes sense
Could be the MAF sensor... Check it first as it is easy. Next I would look at the first downstream o2 sensor for that bank. Lean often means too much air and not insufficient fuel... Check vacuum lines downstream of the MAF (basically all em). Lastly, a clogged/failed injector. Although I agree with Ron about checking those for dryness... Cost=nothing. Good luck.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
the dead spot has been between 50-60 MPH which on my truck is around 1800-1900. but even in town when it hit like 3-4 gear and low RPMs in those gears it pretty well feels like it is running on 1/2 the cylinders. it didn't do it today and I was hoping it would but it has had the check engine light flashing and when i can watch the sequence it is usually either 3 flashes, 7 flashes, or 8 flashes. I have seen all 3 of those for sure.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You're having issues when the engine is under a load. First, whwt year and ignition system are you using? Second, what spark plugs are you running?

SVT

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
engine is out of a 1999 explorer eddie bauer and the spark plugs are the one orielly's said fit it but they are motorcraft, and yes mainly under load but not always like when you are in town. It actually is in that grey area between being under load and coasting

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
CEL doesn't flash a code on OBD II, which is what the computer is running for '99, '96 and up uses OBD II and EEC-V computer.

The flashing CEL means miss firing, it flashes just during the miss firing, miss fires can damage Cat converters, which is why it flashes, it means "danger Will Robinson, danger",.....yes, I am old, lol.

You should have 2 Coil Packs, with 4 spark plug wires on each, is that correct?
Your issue may be with the spark plug wires or one of the Coil Packs, you noticed the issue and changed spark plugs, and that made it worse.
New spark plugs could have a different resistance than the old ones make wire or coil issue worse.
Did you gap the plugs or just install out of the box?

Since you are getting the code for Lean Bank 1, cylinders 1, 2 ,3 and 4, I would pull those 4 spark plugs and see if you can ID any difference in them.
2 and 4 are on one coil, 1 and 3 on the other coil.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Yes 2 coils. When I put the new plug wires on I pulled the plugs and checked them and also cleaned the little bit of oil off them. Engine has around 227,000 on it so a little oil on the plugs it telling me it is about time for a rebuild, but that is a different thread. other than a little oil on them there was nothing out of the ordinary on the plugs. The CEL only flashes going down the road when the engine is under a little load.and doesn't do it all the time. Like I said in the beginning I just want to get her fixed right and be done with it. Currently she is parked and the GF is loosing her vehicle so I can make it back and forth to school.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure reads like a spark issue not fuel.

The dual coil packs on your V8 are the same packs used on the 2.3l/2.5l engines.
They were used from '89-'99 on Ford V8s and 4clys.
I would hit a wrecking yard and pick up a couple of them.

You can test coil packs with an OHM meter, but...........unless it is an out right failure it will test as OK, so you can test if coil is bad but can't really test if it is good.

Google: ford coil pack test the easy way

Video on how to test with ohm meter

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The plug wires are close to the exhaust on that side. Double check the wires and make sure none are burnt through the insulation, pull the plugs and make sure they're not fouled....

SVT

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Already pulled the plugs and checked them when i put mew plug wires on this weekend. Pretty sure it isn't a spark issue if the code reader is telling me it is runnin lean on bank 1, but it doesn't mean i can't be wrong.

I know what you are saying Ron it does read that way, but I have gone over the ignition side of this bout 18 times.....checking and rechecking the connections....pulling plugs. hence why i think it isn't a spark issue.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The issue with being a fuel problem is, is its only on one side of the motor, which would either be a restricted crossover tube in the fuel rail, or a bad/clogged injector(s). Odds are too remote that it'd be the injectors, and very remote on a clogged/restricted crossover tube, unless it was pinched or leaking. If it was a fuel filter, it'd affect both banks, same with a fuel pump issue...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals