• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 pinion bolt?

1986ranger2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo 2.9 2.9 4.0
Transmission
Manual
didn't see it anywhere online so I fig id ask here this is my 2nd rear now my first was a 1991 ex cab 4.0 5 speed 3.55s my pinion bolt came loose an eat a rear don't remember how many miles on the truck but when I got it I change all the oil engine trans front diff an rear an replace the clutches in the rear posy now I have a 2003 ex cab 4.0 5 speed 4.10s open rear I got the truck at 58000 miles on it now I have a little over 137 on it now I change all the oils at 85000 miles trans front rear an rear rear an im getting my rear rebuilt now same thing pinion bolt loose don't have bad u joints but I do drive my trucks a little on the hard side but no lift my 91 had 235/75/15s an my 03 has 245/75/16s so is it just me driving to hard or what????

im asking cuz I been building my 86 ex cab for 5 years now im soon done an I swap exploder 8.8 out of a 99 an a dana 35 up front I don't want to eat the pinion in that truck with 38s so is it just me??? or anyone els? or do I need to check them once a year???

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd just check them

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The pinion nut in the middle of the flange? That shouldn't be working loose, it's supposed to have loctite on it and be a lock nut I believe... That's not normal, I've been here long enough to notice some trends, and been abusing my Ranger long enough to not have a problem (turbo engine in for like 6 years now, lifted and locked for 5)

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
didn't see it anywhere online so I fig id ask here this is my 2nd rear now my first was a 1991 ex cab 4.0 5 speed 3.55s my pinion bolt came loose an eat a rear don't remember how many miles on the truck but when I got it I change all the oil engine trans front diff an rear an replace the clutches in the rear posy now I have a 2003 ex cab 4.0 5 speed 4.10s open rear I got the truck at 58000 miles on it now I have a little over 137 on it now I change all the oils at 85000 miles trans front rear an rear rear an im getting my rear rebuilt now same thing pinion bolt loose don't have bad u joints but I do drive my trucks a little on the hard side but no lift my 91 had 235/75/15s an my 03 has 245/75/16s so is it just me driving to hard or what????

im asking cuz I been building my 86 ex cab for 5 years now im soon done an I swap exploder 8.8 out of a 99 an a dana 35 up front I don't want to eat the pinion in that truck with 38s so is it just me??? or anyone els? or do I need to check them once a year???
When you run out of oil and burn the pinion bearings then your seal will leak and the NUT will loosen. So check your oil and don't reuse old oil.

Also, you cannot retighten the pinion nut correctly without using a new crush sleeve and checking preload.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pinion bolt? What's that look like

1986ranger2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo 2.9 2.9 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I no if I get low on oil it will burn the bearing but i had no leaks on my 03 an I changed the oil never reused oil why would you do that?? lol my 91 got a new rear well not new from the junk yard where I used to work at good times what ever part I needed for free my boss was the best!!!! the 91 had a good leak after the rear was shot it was leaking at the pinion but there was about a 1/4 of play now my 03 it felt like a ujoint was bad at 60mph to 65mph so i got under an check an no bad ujoints but some play in the pinion an i had no leaks ??? i use 85-140 gear oil so i don't no im lost lol an i didn't think i was to hard on it a buddy of mine has a 2 wheel drive with a 302 an he didn't smoke a rear yet i think hes had that truck about 3 years now an he drives it like he stole it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals