• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modifications for Electric Fan

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I am planning on doing an electric fan swap on my 1998 Ford Ranger 3.0. From what I have read and done my research on says the best used fans to go with is the setup from a 3.8 Taurus, just not how to install them. So my question is will this fan fit on the radiator no problem and/or what will I need to do to properly install it?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i run a 93 topaz fan. works great, cools my 4.0

all you need is 2 waterproof 30/40 amp relays, and an adjustable temp sensor. and i sure hope your good with soldiering, as butt connectors and electrical tape will cause this mod to leave you stranded with a overheated engine.

my wiring schematic:

Last edited:

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys that is great info from both of y'all. I'm actually surprised no one bashed this thread, well guess I'm lucky so far haha. But really thanks guys.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The only ones that bash electric fans are the theorists that have never actually installed an e-fan on their own vehicles.

I personally have done an e-fan conversion on my '00 Ranger, and I love it... it's quieter, I believe that my water pump will potentially last longer because there isn't a heavy fan hanging on the end of it, I got an increase in power and an increase in fuel mileage. Enough said.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's kind of annoying, them always saying that you get nothing out of it and your vehicle will always overheat. I really only care about gas mileage, more power would be nice out of the 3.0 but I have come to terms with it right now as being a balls less engine. Plus it gets me where I need to go.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Book-learned internet experts can be a dangerous thing - anybody that's has actually run an e-fan on a 3.0 knows that they don't even come close to overheating.

Other mods that along with an e-fan that gave my 3.0 noticeable gains in power:

MAF mod
Hot water bypass
180* thermostat
Bumped my timing 2 degrees with a tuner after installing the 180* thermostat

She ain't a high horsepower hot rod after the mods, but the low-end throttle response is much better now which makes my truck more satisfying to drive.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah and how many vehicles run e-fans? Answer a shit ton.

I have heard of some people doing a maf mode, I'm just not sure what all has to be done to do it right.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's kind of annoying, them always saying that you get nothing out of it and your vehicle will always overheat.
No, we question whether it's worth the expense/hassle and extra things that can go wrong and under what conditions the truck may overheat if not engineered properly.

I'm not interested in knowing how an e-fan over a clutch fan works when it's not needed, I'm interested to know how it performs at 90+ degrees in stop and go traffic and how the A/C works under those conditions as well.

Obviously they work, as my OEM e-fan in my Camry works, but given how most backyard "mechanics" operate, I'll bet most installations are not worth their perceived advantage. As 06RangerXLT says, you need to do a quality installation, and I will add you need to do your homework, which is, sorry to say, some book "larnin" research.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep finally someone who doesn't understand how fans work, so they write something retarded, like a fan clutch creates no drag, but I don't know how they work so I'm just going to pull something out of my ass.

If you want to be "larned" on how a fan clutch operates just ask or google it.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
R-i-i-i-i-g-h-t... once again we have someone that's never actually done an e-fan installation on a 3.0 giving us all kinds of advice on quality e-fan installations blah blah blah, and then, once again keeping in mind that the individual has never actually done an e-fan installation himself, he goes on to insult the participants of this forum by saying that the majority of us are backyard mechanics that don't know how to correctly install an e-fan in our vehicles (as if installing an e-fan is some type of rocket science).

But that's typical for book-learned internet experts, no?

P.S. I installed my e-fan with a homemade aluminum shroud and it works just fine in 90* temps in stop and go traffic with the AC on.

Last edited:

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I did the install this weekend, fan works great. I got a 2 speed Taurus fan, cools great. But anyone that reads this I do suggest getting a alternator out of a explorer, they are rated at 130 amps instead of 95. You will need the extra power when at idle.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does the alternator charge at idle or does it need to be at any certain rpm to be charging the battery?

Richard

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I did the install this weekend, fan works great. I got a 2 speed Taurus fan, cools great. But anyone that reads this I do suggest getting a alternator out of a explorer, they are rated at 130 amps instead of 95. You will need the extra power when at idle.
Glad to hear you got 'er done, but I've never had a problem at idle with my AC on with my stock alternator, so it's doubtful that a 130 amp alternator is required.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does the alternator charge at idle or does it need to be at any certain rpm to be charging the battery?

Richard
Yes the alternator charges at idle, or else your headlights would dim and your heater/AC blower motor would quit running when idling for a long period of time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals