• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about doing a 5.0 swap in my 86 4X4 ranger need advice

joeschmo2190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i have a 1986 ford ranger 2.3 5 speed manual (fm145) 4x4 its a single cab long bed if that helps for my next couple of questions...

I have a nice rebuilt 5.0 block and at 1 point was thinking about doing the swap but was worried about having to have my driveshafts shortened/lengthened for the swap.

I been thinking theres got to be a way to do it on the cheap by either being able to reuse the existing drive shafts, or a driveshaft from a different car that could be found in a junkyard.

I want to keep it manual cause i love having a 5 speed even more so if i do a 5.0 swap. I had read that a M5OD from a 5.0 f150 would work for this setup. so that leaves me with figuring out a tranfercase and driveshafts on the cheap to complete the swap.

Can anyone give me some cheap solutions for driveshafts and a manual style transfercase that i could pick up at a junkyard?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't know if this will help, but here is the link to the ongoing saga of my build.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150282

I wanted to do it as cheaply as I could and I'm quickly approaching $3000.00 and still have to get the front drive shaft shortened and an exhaust fabricated. I went with a HO block, rebuild, GT40P heads and Explorer intake, M5ODR2, and NP205 transfer case. The rear drive shaft swap cost me about $60 total. The front is going to be more. Just trying to help you see what can be done. The cost of the truck itself is included in that ($750), so you can do it pretty inexpensively. I've been at it since April, and I'm very close to first start-up--and I don't own a welder, so that's slowing me down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals