• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM Hub Install on 98-00 Ranger 4x4s

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Modification: Swapping the Pulse Vacuum Hublocks to AVM Manually Locking Hubs
Difficulty: 1-3.5/5 depending on factors described below.

Are you tired of your Ranger's PVH (Pulse Vacuum Hublock) system failing you when you need it most? Wish you could swap on a set of manual locking hubs? AVM has heard your plea, and now offers manual locking hubs for 98-00 Ranger 4x4 trucks. Read on for information regarding this swap.

Note: These hublocks will NOT fit 2000+ Ranger 4x4s, due to Ford's decision to switch in July of 2000 to the use of the live axle setup found on Explorers.

Note: When reading this guide, the picture accompanying the step will be located above the step.

Note: I, nor TRS, is responsible for any damage or injury caused by this modification. This guide is based upon my experience with my truck.

Tools Needed:
- 1-2 small flat head screwdrivers
- Brake Cleaner, 5w20 Motor Oil (Optional)

Step 1: Jack up the front of the vehicle in a safe manner. Remove the center caps and remove wheel/tire. You should be looking at the original vacuum hubs.

Step 2: Remove the vacuum hublocks using whatever method works best for you as outlined in the Tech Library of TRS. I recommend constantly pulling on the hublock as you pry up on the retaining tabs using the flat head screwdrivers working in a circle until the tabs release the hublock.

Special Note: If your hublocks are rusted badly and will not release, it is possible that the inner hub gear has corroded itself to the end of the axleshaft. If this is the case, you will need to be prepared for a different and frustrating repair. You will need to forcibly remove the hublock and possibly break and plastic housing, leaving the inner guts inside the wheel bearing hub assembly. If this happens, you will need a new wheel bearing assembly, along with a new snap ring and a knuckle seal. All are available through Ford. To get the rest of the hublock internals out, notch the outer lip of the wheel bearing hub assembly at 12 and 6 o'clock. Then, preferably with air tools, chisel out the hublock internals from the wheel bearing assembly. Replace the wheel bearing assembly, knuckle seal, and snap ring as outlined in other guides in the Tech Library of TRS. Continue to Step 3.

Step 3: With the hublock removed, spray brake cleaner in the wheel bearing hub assembly where the axleshaft passes through. Make sure to get out all major dirt and grime to ensure a cleaner reassembly. Remember, cleanliness is key with this 4WD system.

Step 4: Remove the old o-ring and install the new one supplied with your AVM hubs.

Step 5: Look at our nice new hublock. It may say AVM or Rugged Ridge on the label, either is fine as some companies have rebranded them when they received them from AVM who is located in Brazil. Check to make sure the locking mechanism functions properly.

Step 6 (Optional): This step is completely optional. I lightly covered the hub internals with 5-20 Motor Oil to prevent corrosion and ensure proper hub to axle engagement. I have found that on my vehicle adding a LIGHT amount of 5w20 reduces harsh engagement and helps keep the hublock's internal gears smooth and corrosion free.

Step 7: With the hublock prepped and the new o-ring installed, we are ready to install the new AVMs. Turn the dial to the "Lock" position, and slowly guide the hub onto the wheel bearing hub assembly. If the hublock does not slide onto the wheel bearing assembly, turn the axleshaft by hand until you feel the splines line up and the hublock will slide into place. Make sure the hublock is fully seated and the retaining tabs are secured in place.

Step 8: Our new hublock is on and ready to roll. Doesn't it look pretty? Repeat steps 1-8 for the other side. Install the wheels/tires and properly torque the lug nuts. Leave off the center caps as they will cover the hubs preventing access to the locking mechanism.

Note: I am currently working on making the center caps work with the AVM hubs and will update as soon as I am done.

To test their function, grab a buddy. Lock in the AVM hubs on both sides. Start the vehicle and engage 4Hi at the transfer case. Put the truck in reverse or drive/1st gear, and have your friend watch the front axleshafts. The axleshafts should be turning with the wheels. Put the truck in Park/Neutral with parking brake engaged. Unlock the AVM hubs. Put the truck in reverse to ensure disengagement, and then slowly creep forward. The front axleshafts should not be turning with the wheels.

Enjoy your newfound reliability!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals