• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual hubs whish one?

sprkthead2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
My brother in law gave me his 1993 Ford Ranger STX with a 4.0 engine. The only prob so far is that would not engage in 4 wheel drive. Thanks to this website I believe I have fixed the electric shift motor. Now I have new problem:

When I go into 4 wheel drive I can feel it shift to 4 wheel but the car pulls to the right. Seems like only one of the automatic hubs are working. When I press the 4x4 button again to disengage I can still feel it pull to the right. If I stop and back it up to disengage the 4x4 then drive the truck drives straight. Reading through the forums I believe my conclusion is that only one of the front wheels is driving.

I now what to switch over to manual hubs to fix the issue. Question is according to Tech Library:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm

Warn P/N 29071 has needle bearing while Warn P/N 37780 has copper bushings. But it also mentions that 29071 now may have the copper bushings.
"To my understanding, the current hubs sold under pt#29071 also use a copper bushing."
If this is the case I will go with 37780, if not then I will settle for 29071 because of the needle bearings. Has anyone who has done the manual hub conversion that has purchased 29071 can verify if it has the copper bushing or not? Advantage/disadvantage?

I've already ordered the spindle lock from 4wheelparts.com, by the way they are now 10.00 per wheel.

I'm going to order the hubs from here:
http://www.trsfabandoffroad.com/products/warnhubs.htm

Warn P/N 29071 - Manual locking hubs for 1990 - 1997 Ford Ranger and 1990-1994 Ford Explorer.
Warn P/N 37780 - Heavy Dana 35 Jeep hub that can be used as an upgrade for 1990 - Up Ford Rangers and 1990-1994 Ford Explorers with a Dana 35 front axle.

So once I have installed the manual hubs how do they work with the 4x4 push button? Is this correct:

1. With hubs engaged and 4x4 not pressed, this becomes a live axle? Just because the hubs are not engaged. This will perhaps waste 1 mpg gas.:fie:

2. With hubs engaged and 4x4 pressed, 4 wheel drive. :)

3. With hubs disengaged and 4x4 not pressed, this disengages the front axle which encreases fuel economy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a newbie truck owner. :secret:

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Make sure you don't have a problem with the axleshaft u-joints or the spindle needle bearings.
Because the front differential is 'open' (no locker or limited slip), one hub not locking would result in no power going to BOTH wheels, so that alone shouldn't be able to cause a pull like that.

sprkthead2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you don't have a problem with the axleshaft u-joints or the spindle needle bearings.
Because the front differential is 'open' (no locker or limited slip), one hub not locking would result in no power going to BOTH wheels, so that alone shouldn't be able to cause a pull like that.
Got me thinking, but if just rear wheel drive it drive straight. You would think it would also pull to the left if in 2 wheel drive, unless its not notice in w wheel but amplifide when in 4 wheel. I guest the only way to find out is to jack up all 4 wheels of the ground and see if all wheels spin when in 4x4. Maybe automatic hubs are working fine.

I will check u-joints and spindle needle bearings during the conversion. Which conversion kit should I use though? Needle bearings or bushing.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
??

If that's in regards to the hubs, it shouldn't matter (only way you'll get hubs with bearings anyway is to find hubs at a junkyard, which is not a common find).

sprkthead2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
??

If that's in regards to the hubs, it shouldn't matter (only way you'll get hubs with bearings anyway is to find hubs at a junkyard, which is not a common find).
37780 it is then thanks.

Looking through the maintenace records I found out that the drivers side wheel bearing were loose on 2 occasions both on the drivers side. Last record on maintance:

"Inspected and found front axle u-joints binding up. Also 4x4 shift motor not working."

Guess I know now what to fix.:bawling:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you never want problems get the Jeep D35 hubs.....

Even though I've managed to keep my electronic/auto system working the past couple of years, an upgrade to all manual is all too imminent.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Sounds like 4WD is working and you have a locked up u-joint.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals