• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code 213

stranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

Recently my ranger started cutting out over bumpy/rough roads but runs great on smooth roads. The CEL flashes on for a second and turns off when it cuts out. The only memory codes I could pull were 175, 176, and 189 which all deal with the 02 sensor but I wouldn't think that would cause this issue. I also did a KOER test and only come up with codes 411 and 412 which deal with idle. I cleared the codes and drove for a day and now I came up with code 213 (Ignition SPOUT or SAW circuit open or shorted) during the KOER test. I was hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks for the help!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You have a loose connection, I known "duh", lol

The Computer and engine electrics are all run from the EEC Relay in engine fuse box.
Open lid on that fuse box and check EEC(PCM) Relay, pull it out, it is a standard automotive relay, not expensive, and also next to it should be the FP Relay(fuel pump relay), I would replace both on speculation.

Any relay has an arm that moves to "close" a connection, it is held "closed" by a coil that acts like a magnet when power(12volts) is applied, if arm moves by being "bumped" the connection is lost for that moment.
In the case of the EEC Relay, spark would be lost and Computer would reboot(CEL comes on) for that second or two.

If it was the FP relay then engine would stall as fuel pressure dropped and CEL would come on because Lean condition, and Lean codes set

You could "tap on" the fuse box while engine is idling to see if there is a loose connection inside

1994 4.0l uses an EDIS 6 spark control module, it is located on the FRONT side of the rad support, drivers side, black box with about 12 wires connected, look up under the bumper to see it
Check connection

At about the 10:00 location behind crank pulley is the CKP(crank position) sensor, this is the "big kahuna" of sensors, it times spark and fuel injection, engine can not run without its signal
It is directly connected to the EDIS 6 module, then EDIS module passes that timing signal on to the computer and computer sends back adjustments and that send back is called SPOUT or SAW
Check connector on CKP sensor

These are just guess's

Last edited:

stranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron!! I just went and gave the EEC relay a little tap and sure enough the motor cut out. You are a life saver! I was looking way to far into it and here it's something as simple as a relay. I will replace it tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

stranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

You have a loose connection, I known "duh", lol

The Computer and engine electrics are all run from the EEC Relay in engine fuse box.
Open lid on that fuse box and check EEC(PCM) Relay, pull it out, it is a standard automotive relay, not expensive, and also next to it should be the FP Relay(fuel pump relay), I would replace both on speculation.

Any relay has an arm that moves to "close" a connection, it is held "closed" by a coil that acts like a magnet when power(12volts) is applied, if arm moves by being "bumped" the connection is lost for that moment.
In the case of the EEC Relay, spark would be lost and Computer would reboot(CEL comes on) for that second or two.

If it was the FP relay then engine would stall as fuel pressure dropped and CEL would come on because Lean condition, and Lean codes set

You could "tap on" the fuse box while engine is idling to see if there is a loose connection inside

1994 4.0l uses an EDIS 6 spark control module, it is located on the FRONT side of the rad support, drivers side, black box with about 12 wires connected, look up under the bumper to see it
Check connection

At about the 10:00 location behind crank pulley is the CKP(crank position) sensor, this is the "big kahuna" of sensors, it times spark and fuel injection, engine can not run without its signal
It is directly connected to the EDIS 6 module, then EDIS module passes that timing signal on to the computer and computer sends back adjustments and that send back is called SPOUT or SAW
Check connector on CKP sensor

These are just guess's
I was able to pull a relay out of my junk 1996 ranger that matched up. Put it in and no more cutting out! Took it for a drive and runs perfect. Thanks again Ron! You saved me a lot of headache and money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good Work :icon_thumby:

Sometimes you get lucky, thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals