• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 sohc question

DemonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, looking to change the motor in my 03 4.0 sohc ranger. It is 5 speed standard, 4x4. It developed a rattle coming from the rear passenger side of the engine.It rattles upon start up, then rattles half consistently while driving. I replaced both timing chain tensioners a while back and no luck.

This is the second motor already in the truck. My truck has about 360,000 kms on the body and this motor has about 200,000 on it.

My plan is to pull this current motor and replace it with a less mileage newer one. Also the motor thats currently in my truck I am going to rebuild it over time myself as a project to learn engine work :icon_thumby:

What motors will fit in my truck? 2003 4.0 sohc, 5 speed. 4x4.
Do i need the computer with the motor or just the motor? I am a bit dumb when it comes to engines as i have never had to replace one before.
Also is there anything else I need? Are certain years better ?

I have also found a few engines, some are still in trucks that are not running. Is there a way to get the motor running for a test before I buy one? The sellers say the engines are good with xxx miles however i'd like to hear it running of course before i buy anything. I need a new motor dropped in as soon as I can. The old engine is going to be my project to tinker with over time.

Thank you for any advice. :yahoo:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2001 to 2012 Ranger or Mazda B-4000 4.0l SOHC engine is what you can use without changing transmission or computer and wiring harness.

The 2005 and up 4.0l SOHC engines had the revised timing chain parts so didn't have the issues the earlier models had

4x4 4.0l SOHCs did have an extra balancer shaft, but a few have used 2WD 4.0l SOHCs in 4x4s and reported no issues.
Balancer shaft was added because of the full time front driveshaft, Live Axles, so more of an on paper engineering design than a must have practical issue.

Only other engine to consider would be 5.0l V8 conversion, buy a 1996 to 2001 V8 Explorer as a "parts car".
But 4.0l SOHC V6 is rated at 200 Horse Power, 5.0l V8 as 210HP
While "there is no replacement for displacement" in this instance I am not sure it would be money well spent unless you did some performance modifications on the 5.0l to push it to 300HP
But just an opinion

Last edited:

DemonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there, thanks for the reply! Ok i will hunt down a nice 4.0 then. I found one that a guy has still in a 2005 ranger ext cab. He said it has 8x,xxx kms on it. However not running because he sold the gas tank already for it. Is there anything else known to go on the motors other then timing chains? just wondering as while its out , should i replace certain gaskets or anything like that in the new motor i buy?

thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine wise the timing chains were the only issues with the SOHC.
Change rear main seal, on any engine, before putting in to a vehicle

The Knock sensor and thermostat housing were about the only other issues, not common but known
Knock sensor is in the valley so hard to get at, usually the wires broke
Thermostat housing would leak.
Either of these can be changed with engine in vehicle, but have a look.

Not sure I would buy that engine with that back story, "gas tank is gone"
If you are parting out a vehicle you can easily do a video showing running engine even working transmission if automatic.
You don't just "sell the gas tank" one day

Maybe 100% OK but it is an "as is" sale, so caveat emptor - the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

You could go over with a battery and gasoline in spray bottle
Pull off the intakes air tube
Hook up battery and have him crank the engine while you add fuel manually, engine will start and run as long as you keep adding the fuel
That would give you a chance to listen for Knocks or Rattles

If he says no to above test, then walk away, you dodge a bullet

Last edited:

DemonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect, highly appreciate the input! Looking forward to getting the ranger back thumping again!:icon_thumby:

DemonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, so another question. Called around today and got several quotes. I can got 3 different prices from auto part stores.

03 - 13x,xxxkm's for 800 with a year warranty
03 - 13x,xxx km's for 500 with a 3 month warranty
06 - 13x,xxx for 600 with a 3 month warranty , however on the 06 engine the guy said i would have to change out the intake manifold, harmonic balancer, timing chain cover or something like that. Is this true?

I'd like to go with a 06 model as youve mentioned the timing chains were updated in later years. however how much trouble will it be to use the 06? The guy basically said the 06 wont work without a nice bit of work. Thanks! :icon_thumby:

dan n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly what did they upgrade on 05 up. My timing chain is on it's way out on my 05. I can't beleave Ford designed a engine that you have to pull the engine
to replace the freaking timing chain. So I'm not sure if I'm going with another engine or cut my losses and say goodbye to ford trucks.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Ford didn't design the engine to be that way. They modified an existing design (OHV) to come up with the SOHC version. Unfortunately, we still have an engine that requires removal to service the rear timing chain.

BTW, I have an 02 SOHC engine that has over 220K miles on it and so far no timing chain rattle. I did replace the tensioners at around 100K miles (engine removal not required) as a preventative maintenance measure. I also have used synthetic oil since the first oil change which I have been told improves the life of the timing chain guides. The 01 Ranger 4.0 SOHC engines had the worst record but the 02 came in 2nd worst and it is still working had for me. I plan to install a new timing chain kit if mine ever goes bad without damaging the engine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, timing chains aren't really supposed to be a maintenance item, they are supposed to be a lifetime item, which is why Ford used them, and why they were ok with making it so hard to get at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals