• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lets see your bumpers

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
How much did that set you back? It looks wonderful.
Well it wasn't cheap but he created exactly what I wanted and he is going to cut back the top plate when my winch comes in and cut holes for fog lights if I decide to go that route. All together $600.

With the very limited choices of aftermarket bumpers for the 1st gen. I don't think I could have done better with shipping cost, mounting, etc..

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally build a bumper so it's not just a winch mount.

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys have some badass bumpers. I have a 98 ranger and I want a bumper for it. I have a couple friends that work at a welding shop and they said they'll make me one, they have access to all of the equipment and steel and can make me one for free. I'd like one made out of the diamond pattern steel, and they're gonna make me a skid plate and cattle guard for it.
Is there a way you guys can post some pictures and maybe dimensions of your hand made bumpers so I can get some ideas about how I want it? I'm thinking maybe put a winch and fog lights and hooks, even though they will be there just for looks but still looks cool lol.
If you guys something to share please post it...

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Winch install on 89 Ranger

I bought one of the Badland 12,000 lb winch a few months ago when it was on sale.
Over the Christmas break I had the time to get it on the truck.

This is where I started.. I don't believe the bumper is the factory one but it fit pretty good and was thick enough to be reused.

View from the top.

After removing the bumper you can see there are non factory mounts welded to the frame.

I knocked these off the frame and was able to use them to attach to the winch mount to re attach the bumper.

I bought a plasma cutter because the prices have dropped and it is a lot cleaner/easier than using the torch.

The main part of the mount was made with 1/4" thick by 6" wide plate I bought.

This was my first cut with the plasma cutter. I used a thin piece of wood for a guide. The piece has been turned over so the slag is on the top. The slag knocks quite easily with a slag hammer.

I also decided to weld this together using stick instead of my wire feed since it burns in better on thicker metal. I haven't welded with my stick welder for over 20 years, but it came out looking not too bad.

The basic design is a U bolted to the frame.

I used 1 1/2" and 2 7/16" grade 8 bolts on each side. Since the top bolt hole in the frame was slotted toward the back, where torque from the winch might cause the mount to rotate to the back, I welded the washer to the frame.

While I had the bumper off I decided to put on the tow hooks I had previously removed from an Expedition. I just drilled a couple holes and installed using the factory hardware.

After slotting the bumper, installing the rollers, and mounting the winch to the plate, the bumper was put back on.

It was time to mount the solenoid pack. These come with brackets to mount to the top of the winch. Since I had no room for it on top I mounted it behind the grill. I just used the bolts that were used to attach the original mounting brackets and drilled holes through the front sheet metal.

After putting the grill back on I drilled a hole in the top plastic for the control handle connector.

I put the breaker pack and cables on the battery and it was ready to go.

Semi-hidden winch, time to go get stuck!

Last edited:

dlswanson41

Reaction score

Can anyone tell me what years of Rangers front bumpers will fit my 2000 Ford Ranger Ex-tended cab XLT 2.5L 5speed manual 2WD..? I've become so confused because I've been given so many different answers that I'm not sure I could make a decision on buying one at this point... Can someone please shed some light on this for me...?

Kind Regards,

Mr. Don L. Swanson

A.K.A. (Confused as Hell)

B.A.S. Computer Science
Certs: MCP\MCSE
A+, Network+
ESX Server\VMware
DICOM

Email: dlswanson41@gmail.com
or
Visit me on the Web at:
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=2162265

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
current: 4 inch suspension rear plus 1 inch block, 4 inch front. Soon: James Duff stage 3 6 inch lift kit
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
What do yall think about this bumper I built for my 92?

Attachments

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals