• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer question

bstone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello-

Just got this 94 4X4 with the 4.0 5 speed, and noticed both the speedo and the odo are not working. After doing some research, I pulled the VSS and the cable from the transfer case to check it out. Cotter pin holding the cable in was messed up, cable was not seated 100%, thought that was the issue- fixed that, no luck. Tried to check the pins on the VSS but I think my meter is jacked. Reading was constantly fluctuating all over the place. Pulled the unit again to check it out and noticed the teeth on the gear all were worn with a low spot in the center of each tooth. While I had it out, I spun the cable a little bit and had the wife watch the speedo- it was moving. So I have 2 questions-

1. Was just going to buy a new VSS, but once I saw the issue with the gears, I figure that's probably the real problem. Going to pick up a new gear. Should I get a new VSS as well?

2. Does the fact that both the speedo and the odo are not working also point to the gear being the issue? I'm assuming the VSS doesn't control the odometer- am I right on that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brady

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, you are correct, in 1994 Rangers used a speedometer cable for speed and odometer
VSS was used by Cruise Control and Computer.
Computer uses speed signal for better emissions.

1995 and up Rangers lost the speedo cable, everything ran off the VSS

Ranger Speedo info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

If speedometer was working but jumping up and down it could be one the wires inside the sheath is broken, it catches as cable spins

Last edited:

bstone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response and the welcome, RonD. Neither the speedo or the odometer have been working at all. When I spun the gear from underneath, the wife said the speedometer needle moved, so I assume that mechanically the cable is intact and connected to the speedo head. Since you confirmed that the VSS is not used for the actual speedo, then I have to assume at this point that the worn gear is actually the issue. Thanks again for the response.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

bstone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Point taken on the nomenclature- let's hope that it is the driven gear that is the problem. The teeth on the current one are definitely worn, and I am picking up a new one at the Ford dealer tomorrow. Curious as to why they would wear the way they are (concave wear spot in the middle of each tooth) and hope that doesn't indicate a problem with the drive gear in the t-case...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals