• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The $350 Immaculate Bronco II

B2Binky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration,
An introduction to me and my second recently acquired Bronco II-

I might have found the greatest deal on any Bronco II, ever. It was purchased in 1990 to be towed behind and RV, and only got about 50,000 of actual road time before I got it a few days ago for $350... with 157k on the odo. It starts right up, passes smog, and has manhandled the 90-mile long 6,000 ft climb to and from my home from Los Angeles three times now, cruising at a steady 70mph uphill no problem. The only flaw was that the turn signals didn't work, so she stopped driving it. One $10 relay later, they work perfect. Am I in heaven??? It passed California smog!

Everything is clean, it doesn't consume oil or coolant outwardly, suspension is great, it *supposedly*, based on it's 12/89 production date, has the Dana 35 front axle, even though it looks like a Dana 28 to me. WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH ALL THIS???

-Known Issues-

-parking lights stay on sometimes, even when the key is out. I'm currently researching solutions and have found this is brown wire, and is probably shorted to ground somewhere. Wish me Luck

-Rear tail gate knob and hydraulics somehow destroyed. Might be a junkyard find, but doubtful. Do any other Ford models have these you may know about?

-All three rear view mirrors are garbage.

-Rear Antilock Brake light is on- suspected module swap should do the trick.

Future Mods:

First things first, the 8.8 rear axle with a rebuilt Dana 44 in it, and chromoly axles that bypass the c-clips. Super duper disc brakes all around, new brake lines and cylinder, and of course, a beefy differential cover and some purty paint.

Then, the front axle being a 28 or a 35 yet TBD, (I swear it's a 28 but it should be a 35, it may have been swapped previously), rebuilding the front as a 35 with similar treatment. I'd like a slightly wide stance on both axles.

Big Bad 30" tires all around BOOM!
Already have a steering stabilizer.

Then your standard complete fuel and evap system rebuild, cold air intake, phatty headers and magnaflow exhaust and cooling system revamp beefup. No biggie.

Then, and only then, will she be ready for the LIFT KIT. Nothing too big, 3"-4" Max. Leafs, coils, pistons, the whole nine.

In the future I'd like to swap the Mitsubishi transmission with a Borg Warner T-19, and find a suitable pairing to a later model Cologne 4.0L. But I think right now, keeping the powertrain stock and ultimately reliable is the way to go, at least it will get me through this next winter (The snow hasn't even melted yet and I'm already worried about my vehicle for next winter). But summer in the Pines means world-class off-road fun is literally at my doorstep. Let's beef this bad mama jamma out :)

Attachments

Last edited:

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What a hell of a deal on anything running, let alone a nice one like that !! Nice score !!

B2Binky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration,
Update

The brake light issue turned out to be a bad brake switch, beneath the brake pedal. A jiggle and a spray with contact cleaner fixed it right up. I'll be replacing as soon as I get to my parts guy, as well as the parking brake switch for good measure.

RABS light is still on, I pulled the RABS sensor and cleaned it up well. No Visible damage. I will probably pay the $12, replace the sensor, and do a gear oil change in the rear differential since they're all connected. If that doesn't work, I'm not gonna worry about it because soon she'll be rocking that sweet 8.8" rear end ;)

ALSO- I do have a truck (2001 Ranger) with a blown tranny. It's got a Dana 44 up front, and a 4.0L SOHC... hmmmm..... I'm beginning to wonder if I really should sell the ranger as is for $1,500 or use it as a donor vehicle.
Decisions, decisions....:icon_twisted:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Really nice find. Looks like a true survivor. I personally wouldn't do much to take it from stock form if you like being able to make those long drives. A lift and big tires are fine if you don't plan on cruisin long distances. if you can, load up some interior shots too. Love those BII's. Unmolested ones are getting harder and harder to find too. Good luck.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The hatch latch handle can be had on ebay, get one for an explorer. You have to enlarge the mounting holes. There's an article or post on it somewhere. The struts can be had on ebay too.

Parking lights, I try a new headlight switch.

Mirrors should be easy, I got a pair off ebay, rear view cheapie at a Napa. LMC has more expensive and I assume better quality mirrors.

I've tried many things many times to fix my RABS. I thought I have had it fixed more than once only to have it come back. Currently I'm using the electrical tape fix, a piece of the warning light. :) never replaced the actual valve though...

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The RABS is hardly worth repairing. I bypassed the RABS valve and put in an adjustable proportioning valve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals