• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 4.0l 5 speed loss of pedal

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Curb? What curb, I felt a speedbump
Suddenly the other day my clutch started acting up the list of details I know are as follows

I have almost no resistance except for in the very end of pedal travel

It is also hard to shift out of neutral without first pumping the clutch

The fluid reservoir was "dry" when I checked it

The shop I went to today said I need to do the whole kit and kaboodle (master, slave, flywheel&clutch kit and hoses)

Where do I start? Is this something I can do on my own?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Most likely it's the slave cyl that has started leaking. Replacing it requires pulling the trans. So might as well do the clutch too while you're in there if it's got more than 75-100K on it (less or more accordingly if you're an aggressive driver or you baby it).

If you find the fluid exceptionally dirty however, then I would also suggest replacing the master cyl as well, just so there are no contaminants in the system that could possibly cause a failure of the new slave cyl (could be why some shops push for replacing the MC also when a slave fails).

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That sounds about right, the paperwork that the previous owner gave me says the whole system was done at 119k miles and I'm now at 171k miles. I may or may not have been the most gentle driver the first couple years owning it...

How hard is it to do this job in my driveway? What tools would I need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD or 4WD?

Are you actually literally going to try to do it in your driveway or do you have a garage?

If it's 2WD it's pretty simple. 4WD is a little more involved due to the transfer case but still not bad.

You will need either a transmission jack, or something to turn your floor jack into a transmission jack (I built a cradle out of angle steel and wood that worked very well to drop the transmission out of my truck).

Usually the most difficult part of the job is getting the transmission back on the engine and an extra set of hands really helps with that. One advantage of a manual is that it's quite a bit lighter than an auto.

Not sure about all the tools but on my truck the bellhousing bolts took a 13mm socket...and they were VERY difficult to get to. You will need some long extensions.

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
2WD or 4WD?

Are you actually literally going to try to do it in your driveway or do you have a garage?

If it's 2WD it's pretty simple. 4WD is a little more involved due to the transfer case but still not bad.

You will need either a transmission jack, or something to turn your floor jack into a transmission jack (I built a cradle out of angle steel and wood that worked very well to drop the transmission out of my truck).

Usually the most difficult part of the job is getting the transmission back on the engine and an extra set of hands really helps with that. One advantage of a manual is that it's quite a bit lighter than an auto.

Not sure about all the tools but on my truck the bellhousing bolts took a 13mm socket...and they were VERY difficult to get to. You will need some long extensions.
dont have space in my garage...4x4, no tranny jack, so i will be building one, have 13mm and extensions

Syritis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I've done it a couple times, on my rx7 sitting on jack stands. it takes some time and yes using a jack to get it up to the engine and wiggling it in by hand is sometimes quite difficult.
you'll definitely need an extra set of hands.

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I've done it a couple times, on my rx7 sitting on jack stands. it takes some time and yes using a jack to get it up to the engine and wiggling it in by hand is sometimes quite difficult.
you'll definitely need an extra set of hands.
difficult, i can do. especially if it saves me $600
impossible will take a couple extra days

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals