• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would Like help deciding on my first truck

sir____man

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I want a truck. I've been wanting a truck for years and at first wanted a 1997 ford ranger to build into a prerunner. Now I'm looking for a truck that I could build to handle the trails of the rocky mountains in Colorado because that is where I'll be moving to this upcoming spring. I've would really like a ranger preferably a pre-2000, but I would also settle for an f-150 also pre-2000. I've found a 1988 2.9 v6 ranger[/B] and a 1989 F-150 5.0 v8. Both 4x4(I consider this a must for my location) and in decent shape. I would like to build what I'm calling in my head a "trail truck", to me that's some where in between a prerunner and a crawler. Are these good model years for what I want to do with it? Which of the two would be better suited and why? Lastly where would be a good place to start the build for my truck?

P.S. I also want this to be a daily driver.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Be patient, man. Starting with the right truck is uber important. I like the 5.0 f150s. I had a 94 with a 351. It was an awesome truck. I loved all the room. It had a goose neck and I could tow whatever. However, driving it sucked. It was hard to park and didn't get the best mileage. So there was some trade offs.

On the ranger, 1989-1997 is good period. I would avoid the 2.9l v6 and the auto transmission and the electronic transfer case. Can all that stuff be swapped when it poops out? Yes. I have done that. But it is so much easier and cheaper and smarter to start with a 4.0, 5 speed, manual transfer case.

Both trucks would be good for a prerunner/ crawler. The 150 will be bigger and haul more. The ranger will be smaller, better mileage, easier to park in a parking lot, easier to get into right trails.

I decided to sell my 150 and build a 1991 ranger. You might decide different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals