• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 wont start or starts slowly.

Jeano

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All. I have a 1989 Ranger. 2.3L. Standard Trans. When I turn the key on, my volt gage reads about 10v. (I've tried several fresh batteries.) My fuel pump runs and runs. I've left it on for up to 5 minutes. It usually won't stop. The engine will turn over very slow. Sometimes after several tries, It will start and run erratically until something clicks,( or kicks in?) then suddenly run like a top. On some occasions, the Fuel pump acts normal, runs for a couple seconds, turns off, and the truck runs great from the start. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I've checked the ground, it is fine.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds more like dirty or corroded battery wires...I just had a similar problem and thought everything was clean and tight...turned out it was neither...the connectors on the starter might also be in need of attention...they can corrode to the point of snapping off (which was my problem but inside the connector) so take the battery cables out and inspect them...that's the best way to do it...not contorting your body under the truck in some sado-masochist attempt to punish yourself...unless you really like that sort of thing...

Anyway...clean them up...tighten them up...

Replacing the battery should have corrected it if it was a charge issue...so obviously you've eliminated that...

xlt88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 87, 85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l and 2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Your starter could be going bad and is not disengaging like it is suppose to. Which could be causing the the motor to bog until it disengages.

Jeano

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I'll double check all of the connections. I do not believe it is the starter not disengaging. The truck sorta surges until it starts running well. Could be right down the driveway, could be 15 miles down the road.. Then it is like a switch was thrown. It can startle ya if you forget about it.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
There is more than one ground. I don't know them all, but there should be one from the back end of the cylinder head to the cab. Bare wire with circular fittings on each end.
When you get 10v, there's something wrong, especially if you can go to the battery posts and measure 12.46V or similar. The low voltage can diddle with the computer, and it may be interpreting its input off kilter because the base voltage it uses for reference is incorrect.
I'd also check all the connections to the large starter relay battery side post. Dunno the year, but older rangers had several connectors there with built-in fusible links, and that was the source for power for all the bits & pieces. If loose, it will likely futz up everything so you don't know what's going on. Grab hold of the bundle and see if you can move it, same with the large battery cables, on both ends of both cables. Should NOT be able to wiggle them.
tom

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My first question is why do you only have 10 volts and why is your fuel pumps running all the time. With key off you should have 12 plus volts and when you turn the key to run, the pumps should only run for about 2 or 3 seconds.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My first question is why do you only have 10 volts and why is your fuel pumps running all the time. With key off you should have 12 plus volts and when you turn the key to run, the pumps should only run for about 2 or 3 seconds.
I recently went through this and I can attest to the 10v showing up...even with a fully charged battery that shows 12.56v at the posts...and the same at the starter relay. For some reason the rest of the system would read 10v as if there was a drain on the system somewhere.

Even weirder was the voltage would fluctuate all over the place...I thought it was the signal switch from the 96 was shorting out or otherwise causing the weirdness...but it was the connections at the starter circuit.

I ended up having to completely remove the old starter wiring...that didn't look too bad, and replace it with one that I had given to me by the previous owner...

So...I'm thinking this is a bad wiring harness or battery connections to the starter...could be something else but it is very similar to what I just dealt with...weird!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals