• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ocassional hard start

Polk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2009 with about 30,000 miles. Occasionally it starts hard; it will crank for a few seconds and sometimes will barely catch, and other times it will just cough a couple times and need to be cranked again. Most times it starts right up as most modern cars do. It does not seem to matter if the engine is warmed up or if it's a cold start.

Has anyone else run into this?

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2009 with about 30,000 miles. Occasionally it starts hard; it will crank for a few seconds and sometimes will barely catch, and other times it will just cough a couple times and need to be cranked again. Most times it starts right up as most modern cars do. It does not seem to matter if the engine is warmed up or if it's a cold start.

Has anyone else run into this?

Sometimes when warm my 2010 2.3 takes a few more turns to start than I would like. A few others have noticed the same thing....nothing to be concerned about.

cpubuilder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Mine does this as well ... Like its got a hole in the intake plenum er composite or something. Almost same result as removing a vacuum hose or something. Must just be the 2.3l duratec way

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a similar problem, but I just wrote it off to not holding the starter long enough for the engine to catch. If it releases before fully starting, I've noticed mine will be hesitant to start the second time. Sort of like the carb engines when you'd flood the engine.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had a similar problem, but I just wrote it off to not holding the starter long enough for the engine to catch. If it releases before fully starting, I've noticed mine will be hesitant to start the second time. Sort of like the carb engines when you'd flood the engine.
Same here

wv_snranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l V8
Transmission
Automatic
Same thing with my '04.... though usually occurs more often in colder temps.

rivetc78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Litre 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
My 2008 does the exact same thing. It definetely happens more frequently when the weather drops as it has been occuring frequently in the past couple of weeks. I also noticed if the truck is not at full operating temperature - meaning if I stop somewhere after recently starting it up - it will do it when I try to restart it. I've had the truck at the dealership multiple times for this problem and of course they can't get it to replicate the condition while it's there. The first time I brought it in they said they did an ECU re-program for a TSB while it was under warranty. Now my warranty is expired so I don't want to bring it in for troubleshooting as it could get expensive.

Any body have ANY ideas what could be causing this? My theory is that the fuel rail is losing pressure somehow. Any way to test this?

wtn4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To the top because I have this too. I have 2008.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turn the key to the run position and wait about 5 seconds. Then crank it and note the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals