• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan clutch replacement

Sam_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2.3 5 speed and wanted to know if anyone has replaced the fan clutch for an electric fan thus cutting down on parasitic loss of the motor.

Just something i thought about as im sure i need to replace it. any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Potentially dumb question but have you checked to make sure your truck didnt already come with both and e-fan and a mech fan, i know some dont but alot did. The stock efan is hooked up to the ac and kicks on when the pump cycles for "extra cooling", but if you have a tuner like sct or diablo you can tell the computer what temp youd like to have your e-fan come on at with out having to run any extra switches or sensors. 3.0 guys are also dropping their mech fans and running just the e-fan from duratec's so a factory fan can definitely handle the work load.

My truck came with both and i have removed the mech fan and left just the e-fan, i also dont have a tuner so i watch my temp gauge and my hvac switch now also doubles as my fan switch. The temp gauge has never moved higher then normal, its been in cold fogginess and sat in 110* LA traffic always runs at a consistent temp with no worry of over heating. The radiator is designed to cool a 4.0 v6 and i think thats the main reason it runs so consistently, its a huge radiator to run on a focus motor.

Parasitic loss? throttle response? more of teh sw33t MPGz? I dont track my miles and ive never been to a dyno so i dont know. I personally didnt notice to much of a difference only thing i noticed for sure was the revs drop slightly quicker after the iac valve is done hanging the revs. Am i still glad its gone? absolutely since for me it was a free mod and those are always the best kind. Would i pay 150 to do it? probably would just cause im a honda guy and the thought of a mech fan on a 4cyl bothers me but i wouldnt expect a ferrari after im done.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Do a search for "electric fan" and you'll get 1,276,540,239 threads on it. (<--exaggeration obviously, but it's been discussed many MANY times before. SEARCH!)

Sam_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just a small recap.. turned out that i indeed needed a new fan clutch as i was able to stop it with one finger at idle.
In laredo, tx temperatures are commonly above 100 degrees

after changing it i noticed no difference in the temperature.. it stayed at 240 both with worn and new part. only difference was the wind generated.
as previously posted it is likely due to the size of the radiator for the small engine.

Last edited:

cpubuilder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I too have removed my mechanical fan, however, you make a good point about the heat. I'd look at a new one or look into an aluminum flex fan... It throws a lot of air when at idle speeds but flex's when rpm's speed up as to reduce drag. I use to have one on a old 4.9l straight six F150.... worked like a charm and they are only 40-50 bucks. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals