• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Edge 4.0L cruise control help, please!

TraderMark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know I don't post here much, but I could really use some help.

2001 Ranger Edge Ext cab 4.0L Auto.

My cruise control stopped working out of the blue.
It worked fine Thursday and this evening it won't work at all.
When I try and set the cruise control, nothing happens. No dash indicator light, not even a flash, and no cruise.

I've checked the fuses several times, both are good.
I've checked the switch on the MC and it's functioning properly.
Brake lights operate normally, nothing squirrely with them.
I ran the cruise control self diagnostic and got 2 flashes at the end which should mean a bad BPP or a defective circuit.

Here's the part I don't understand.... If the brake lights are functioning properly, how can the switch or the circuit be defective?:icon_confused:

Thanks in advance,
Mark

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could be that switch at the end of the master cylinder, it was a huge recall sometime back. My understanding is its a backup switch if the brake lights don't work it will still kick off when u hit the brakes. Edit- silly me, I reread and u already checked it. Try checking the clock spring that would be my next guess

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I want to know how you are do sure the pressure switch is operating properly. The only way to verify its operation is with a scanner, and it sounds like you don't have one.

In my experience it is the most common cause of in-op cruise.

The brake light circuit could still be at fault. There are two legs of it, one going to the lights themselves, and one going to the cruise module. If there is a problem with that second leg it would set that code but leave the lights unaffected.

TraderMark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
adms08... "The brake light circuit could still be at fault. There are two legs of it, one going to the lights themselves, and one going to the cruise module. If there is a problem with that second leg it would set that code but leave the lights unaffected."

Yeah, I was tired, wasn't thinking, was frustrated and didn't even consider the fact the switch could be a multi-circuit switch.:icon_idea:

Any way, so often people post problems like this and never post the remedy or action to correct the problem, so here's what I finally found.

I bought the truck used, 2 years ago. It had an electric brake controller in it when I got it, but the controller was unplugged. I didn't need the controller at the time so I thought nothing of it. A few days ago I acquired a trailer that has electric brakes so I plugged the controller back up inside the truck, but I haven't hooked the trailer to the truck as of yet.

Come to find out, the yahoo that installed the electric brake controller in the truck wired the controller input wire to the cruise control part of the brake light switch instead of the brake light part. Having it wired that way shorted out the cruise circuit and burned one of the wires in two for the cruise circuit. Repaired the broken/burned wire, wired the brake controller into the proper circuit and all is well again.

Thanks for the help!!!

Mark

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals