• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 gear selector not responding?

phacemeltar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the truck is stuck in overdrive.

im not a mechanic, though i can follow instructions alright. i have a 1985 2.3L 4x4 which wouldnt get out of the 5th gear from being on the highway. when i bought it a few years ago, the guy told me that the o-ring in the shifter was missing. i never fixed it, instead i would shift without it.

now i am looking at the replacement part, and im worried that not having it on there may have damaged the shifter fork/lever or what it is. i havent yet taken it apart, but i would like to be able to fix it without having to do that.

any suggestions on how i can get this thing running? please let me know if i can answer any questions for further details. thanks

P.S. - i think im going to order the shifter repair kit, even though i know the problem is now deeper.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should have a Mitsubishi FM-145 5-speed transmission

Could be a couple of things, shift rail could have sheared pin so can't get out of 5th.
Could just be misalignment of the 3 shift rails.
You will need to pull out the shifter and have a look.

Older thread here not sure if these parts are still available: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66739

I wouldn't rebuild the FM145, the M5OD-R1 is a better transmission, must be from a 2.3l 4WD no detachable bellhousing on these.

Last edited:

phacemeltar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks, seems like this will be expensive

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
31 years old, parts can be harder to find and expensive if you do find them.

Ranger is not a "classic" car so having stock transmission won't increase it's value, lol

Just pop off the shifter and see if you can see the problem, that part is free, then you can go from there.

If you pull back the carpet the floor plate may be large enough so you can pull off the top of the transmission while it is in the vehicle, or you can cut floor to make it larger enough, up to you, that is free as well.
You may or may not be able to fix the problem with access to the top.
Only way is to look and see.

But I wouldn't spend too much money on the 31 year old FM145
I would first look at the cost of used M5OD-R1 for 2.3l 4WD, then you have a price point to compare any repair costs for FM145

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals