• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 4wd Ranger has a bad skip

Firexit1A

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 97 4wd Ranger w/ 4.0. I drove it home and at just about 70 miles it developed a skip and ck engine light came on. Not running hot. It has a code Po300 in it . I cleared the cleared and in half a mile the skip came back. The previous owner recently did plugs and wires. The wires are autolight. I am not familiar with Ranger's as I have never owned one. This is a really sharp looking truck and I'd like to figure this out!

thanks,

Brian

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No other code, just P0300?

300 is random misfire so not specific to one cylinder, 301 would be misfire on cyl #1, 306 misfire on #6

You said a "skip" which usually means 1 cylinder is misfiring.

I would do this:
Cold engine
The Coil Pack is on the passenger side rear of engine
It has a 4 wire connector, unplug it so no spark
Crank engine a couple of times, key all the way off and then on each time

Then pull out all the spark plugs and keep them in order, they should all be wet with fuel, if you find a dry one then that fuel injector may be failing, and look at the tips to see if you can see any signs of which cylinder(s) might be misfiring.

They are newer but should still show signs of use, very white and clean could be a bad spark plug, I have gotten a new spark plug that failed after a week or two.
Gaps on the plugs should be .054, a fairly large gap

Because the plugs and wires are new you could have purchased someone else's problem, the new plugs allowed them to sell it.
So you may need to do a compression test unless spark plug tips give you a clue to the problem.

Firexit1A

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I decided not to fix it myself. I took it to a local shop I trust. Runs great now. Apparently the plug wires were el cheapo and shorting om the engine. They put new wires on and she runs like a top!!!!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update

Never would have suspected Autolite, or Motorcraft, wires as a problem.

But I guess every factory in the world has some parts made on Mondays or on a Friday before a long weekend, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals