• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hayden flex-fan

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone installed a flex-fan on their Bronco 2? I was given one that fits mine and was wondering if it was worth installing it. Also I was thinking about putting in a Explorer 2 core radiator which I believe is thicker than the stock one. Will that change the meserment needed between the fan and the coweling to cool the radiator correctly?

Last edited:

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
imo i wouldn't put a flex fan on any car ive seen them brake apart and destroy radiators and hoses plus you wont gain any thing over a properly working clutch fan. the dual core explorer radiator is a good bolt in upgrade. you wont have to adjust the space between the fan and radiator.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm thinking about doing it on my 88 b2. as small as the 2.9 is, i'd like to take as much strain off the engine as i can. i work at autozone and with my discount i can get one for ab out $60 not including the thermostat.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
After this weekend, I won't ever run anything but the OEM mechanical radiator fan. Anything else is just extra "bling" that will fail at the worst possible time. Be it electric fans, flex fans, etc, they're all junk, IMO.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After this weekend, I won't ever run anything but the OEM mechanical radiator fan. Anything else is just extra "bling" that will fail at the worst possible time. Be it electric fans, flex fans, etc, they're all junk, IMO.
ive had good luck so far on my taurus efan. ive had it on 5 different rbv and its still going strong but ive always carried the factory clutch fan so if it ever dies im covered

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
The first time you enter water you're gonna be pissed. They flex forward and start nibbling chunks off the radiator and then commit suicide. Now you're in the mud with no cooling system or coolant!

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
ive had good luck so far on my taurus efan. ive had it on 5 different rbv and its still going strong but ive always carried the factory clutch fan so if it ever dies im covered

It was 90-95°F this weekend, and with an average speed of less than 5mph, I think it was just overwhelmed. By lunchtime yesterday, it was only turning at about 1/4 speed. Wired correctly using a solenoid, circuit breaker, and 10Ga wiring. Shouldn't have had any problems.

Oh well, I have a HD viscous fan clutch on my OEM 7-blade fan that pulls plenty of air and doesn't need a solenoid, breaker, switch, etc. Not fool-proof, but stupid-simple.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
The first time you enter water you're gonna be pissed. They flex forward and start nibbling chunks off the radiator and then commit suicide. Now you're in the mud with no cooling system or coolant!
thats why u install an aux on/off switch

alabamaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90 YJ Wrangler
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We run a flex fan on all of our rigs (90 Jeep YJ, 87 Jeep YJ, 84 Ranger w 2.8 and I had a 85 Brinco II with 2.8). Best investments we ever made. Never had a problem and excellent cooling offroad. I don't like the electric fan due to it's power draw. On the water issue, we have ran it through water with no breakage. I look at it that you should not be in water that submerge your radiator anyway.

The 84 Ranger, we run the explorer radiator with the flex fan. Than factory fan worked good on the road, but offroad it could not keep up with a good air flow.

Just my $.02

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
We run a flex fan on all of our rigs (90 Jeep YJ, 87 Jeep YJ, 84 Ranger w 2.8 and I had a 85 Brinco II with 2.8). Best investments we ever made. Never had a problem and excellent cooling offroad. I don't like the electric fan due to it's power draw. On the water issue, we have ran it through water with no breakage. I look at it that you should not be in water that submerge your radiator anyway.

The 84 Ranger, we run the explorer radiator with the flex fan. Than factory fan worked good on the road, but offroad it could not keep up with a good air flow.

Just my $.02
Thanks for the info, what size spacer did you use on the water pump hub? and can I use a cluch with the fan?

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everybody for their input,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals