• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will 4.56 gears be to much??

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I lifted my truck recently and I am now running 31s. I have stock 3.73 gears right now and I would like to re-gear it so running on the highway wont be a problem. It doesn't do to bad now, but I would like it to do better. I have an 88 B2 with the 2.9 and A4LD auto tranny. So my question is would 4.56 gears be to much, or should I go with 4.10s

I would really like to run 4.56 gears but not if it's going to raise the RPMs to much on the highway. So what do you guys think 4.56s or 4.10s????

Thanks

-Drew

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
What is it doing on the highway now?

What are the rpm's at 70mph?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
4.56 is just perfect for 31s. Do it.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't gotten it up to 70mph. I've been up to around 60mph. Its hard to tell exactly how fast I'm going because the speedo is off do to the larger tires. If I had to guess I'd say around 2,000rpms. With stock wheels and tires I was around 2,400rmps

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
dont you still have the d28/7.5? you're gonna spend $300-$500 to regear that? unless you're not got beat it too hard (giggity) i'd go find an 8.8 and D35 for cheap and start saving to regear those. just my 2 cents, but if you do, let us know how it drives, i'm getting an 8.8/d35 soon and i wanna do 4.10's or 4.56's with my 31's

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4.56 is just perfect for 31s. Do it.
That's what all my numbers I've been crunching tell me. I just wanted to make sure, that's a lot $$$ to spend to re-gear both axles. I just wanted to get it right!

BTW I love your B2!!!:headbang::headbang: My goal is to have a more street-able version of your truck if that's possible. lol

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
dont you still have the d28/7.5? you're gonna spend $300-$500 to regear that? unless you're not got beat it too hard (giggity) i'd go find an 8.8 and D35 for cheap and start saving to regear those. just my 2 cents, but if you do, let us know how it drives, i'm getting an 8.8/d35 soon and i wanna do 4.10's or 4.56's with my 31's
Yeah I still have the D28 and 7.5, BUT I'm going to get a D35 and explorer 8.8 with disc brakes. I can get both axles together for $300 at the local JY. I just need more $$$$:bawling: lol

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just went from 373 to 456 on 33' tires it raised me 400 rpm's in 5th gear, threw my speedo off 10 miles an hour faster then what im doing,but glad I did it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I still have the D28 and 7.5, BUT I'm going to get a D35 and explorer 8.8 with disc brakes. I can get both axles together for $300 at the local JY. I just need more $$$$:bawling: lol
yeah i know what you mean, luckily i've found a guy on here that also lives in NC that is gonna give me a good deal on them. i'm not advocating you do this, just giving you a different angle to look at.

you're gonna spend at least $200 per axle to regear, so we'll say $400 to regear and it'll probably be more like $500 after you buy an install kit for each axle...... not to mention that's if you install the gears yourself. you'll have spent $500 and still have poop for axles. so take that $500 and buy your d35/8.8 and then you've got $200 saved to regear those.

BUT, you could always find some used d28/7.5 gears on here

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i know what you mean, luckily i've found a guy on here that also lives in NC that is gonna give me a good deal on them. i'm not advocating you do this, just giving you a different angle to look at.

you're gonna spend at least $200 per axle to regear, so we'll say $400 to regear and it'll probably be more like $500 after you buy an install kit for each axle...... not to mention that's if you install the gears yourself. you'll have spent $500 and still have poop for axles. so take that $500 and buy your d35/8.8 and then you've got $200 saved to regear those.

BUT, you could always find some used d28/7.5 gears on here
I'm Just gunna save and do it right! I know its a lot of $$$ but It will be worth it in the end.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That's what all my numbers I've been crunching tell me. I just wanted to make sure, that's a lot $$$ to spend to re-gear both axles. I just wanted to get it right!

BTW I love your B2!!!:headbang::headbang: My goal is to have a more street-able version of your truck if that's possible. lol
Mine's actually very streetable. I s'pose you mean something with less lift and 31s though. :D

Was gonna have you take a look at Will's BII, his is pretty similar to mine but he runs 31s and a shorter lift (no bodylift), but I can't find a link to his truck page that isn't broken. :icon_confused:

But yes, 4.56 gears no doubt. 4.10 isn't enough change to really make a difference. Your trans will be happier too.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mine's actually very streetable. I s'pose you mean something with less lift and 31s though. :D

Was gonna have you take a look at Will's BII, his is pretty similar to mine but he runs 31s and a shorter lift (no bodylift), but I can't find a link to his truck page that isn't broken. :icon_confused:

But yes, 4.56 gears no doubt. 4.10 isn't enough change to really make a difference. Your trans will be happier too.
Really?? I just figured with that much articulation and that big of tires it would be more prone to roll overs and not handle well at high way speeds. Would you recommend a similar setup to yours on a daily driver????

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, any time you lift a vehicle, it's a given that it'll be more prone to rolling over. Just simple physics... The more you lift it, the more this is the case. You have to understand it's not a low-slung sports car, and drive it accordingly.

That said, I've driven similarly lifted & tire'd Jeep TJs and I think they handle worse than my BII does (much more body lean, forcing the use of swaybar discos on the street).
I drive my BII hundreds of miles on the highways to the various trails I go to (driven it from So Calif. to Oregon & back towing a 12' enclosed trailer too).

About the only times it's shown any tendency to feel scary at all is if I either go over 80MPH (starts feeling a little "floaty"), or one time I had to slam on the brakes doing 50 MPH, nearly locking them (got a little squirrely lol). Stuff like this pretty much has to be expected with any lifted SWB vehicle.

Would I recommend it for a DD? Only if you know how to set everything up properly (the aftermarket isn't of much help here, you'll need to figure a few things out on your own). Though I still run single shocks up front, duals will give it a little more control with the bigger tires & softer springs.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals