• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger 3.0 horrible lifter tap

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure which is louder, the exhaust or lifter noise.

joeschmo2190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol yeah i know, exhaust is pretty loud atm, thats because its dual cherrybombs dumped, waiting for more money so i can finish the exhaust all the way back.

I used a redneck stethoscope (wooden hammer handle) and notice the noise doesnt come from the valve covers, i hear it when i put the piece of wood to the lower intake manifold though. i'm so confused on whats causing this. all the lifters are good and squirting oil so i'm at a loss here. dont know what else to do.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm feel'in your pain, very frustrating. I have a steth but find it way too sensitive and hard to pinpoint, low tech wood probably works better.

If the sound points you to lower intake then maybe that should be your next investigation - follow the evidence.

joeschmo2190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bump....

No one has any other ideas? Ive tried everything and still got the noise

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it is still the lifters then the only thing I can think of is a blockage to the oil port that feeds the lifters. You'd have to look at an oil flow schematic to see if this is possible. The pressure gauge may read good pressure because it is downstream from the blockage. I can only think of sludge as blocking the port.

This is a good sludge buster: HERE

joeschmo2190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was a sludge problem wouldnt the rockers not be recieving oil? I got oil to all of the rockers.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Without an oil flow schematic I can't answer your question. You can search the web for one.

What else do you think it could be?

joeschmo2190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i finally figured out what the noise was... It wasnt lifter tap like ithought. It was actually wrist pin knock, which sounds very similair.

The way i found out was because... On saturday night i was on my way home from picking up a lift kit and about 1/4 mile from my house the motor threw a rod, i limped it home by coasting down the hill. Once i saw the long trail of oil/coolant mix going up the street i knew what had happened. The wrist pin broke loose and took out a coolant jacket and then ejected the rod out the oil pan. I found a new motor which i'll be installing this weekend hopefully.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals