• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

running rough power loss

popman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi
2001 edge 4x4 3.0 auto trans. Non flex. 300400 plus mi. I have been experiensing loss of power and rough idle. I just replaced the plugs and power pack didnt help. I recently replaced the cam positioning sensor shaft assbly because it was squeaking. My first thought it could be slightly out of time. I had a vacuum leak I found fixed that. Now my question is where do you start because I also thought there could be an injector bad. I have no engine light on either. The motor seems strong doesnt burn too much oil so it should be some simple thing..I hope.

Thank you in advance!

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I would double check the sensor position first. I would then look at your MAF, fuel pressure at the rail. I probably missed something but that is where I would start.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unplug CPS(cam position sensor) and see if engine runs better, if so then yes, re-time it.

After engine is warmed up, let it idle and unplug the IAC(idle air control) Valve, it will close and idle should drop down to 500rpm or engine may even stall, either is good it means no more vacuum leaks.
If idle stays high then you still have vacuum leak.

Yes, clean the MAF sensor

Double check the Coil Pack wiring
3 4
2 6
1 5
front

the 5 6 4 side can get mixed up

Check if EGR valve could be leaking

popman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well for some reason I did not get these replies. But just happen to check in and see them. I will try and get back to you.

Thanks

Willcastle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did it start running rough directly after cam synchronizer was installed? Usually will cause a check engine light if installed wrong and timing is off. Also if off usually causes a lack of power but not a running rough issue.

billyh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 ranger ran perfect 80k miles sat along time leaked oil everywhere then noticed water leaking at intake decided to pull engine do valve job rear main all seals 1 head had small crack was told this engine 4.0 is bad about that so bought 2 new castings swapped guts reputable shop did work reassembled put in truck started right up cat. got red hot tried driving rough and no power tried suggestions no luck yet pulled cat its a double seemed ok doesn't drive any better with cat off any help would be appreciated . new to this computer stuff PLEASE HEIP.

o luck

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi
2001 edge 4x4 3.0 auto trans. Non flex. 300400 plus mi. I have been experiensing loss of power and rough idle. I just replaced the plugs and power pack didnt help. I recently replaced the cam positioning sensor shaft assbly because it was squeaking. My first thought it could be slightly out of time. I had a vacuum leak I found fixed that. Now my question is where do you start because I also thought there could be an injector bad. I have no engine light on either. The motor seems strong doesnt burn too much oil so it should be some simple thing..I hope.

Thank you in advance!
When was the last time you replaced your PCV? I had the same issue with my 92 3.0, and after I replaced the PCV it ran almost like a brand new truck. Just a suggestion, and a fairly cheap one at that.

I have a 93 ranger ran perfect 80k miles sat along time leaked oil everywhere then noticed water leaking at intake decided to pull engine do valve job rear main all seals 1 head had small crack was told this engine 4.0 is bad about that so bought 2 new castings swapped guts reputable shop did work reassembled put in truck started right up cat. got red hot tried driving rough and no power tried suggestions no luck yet pulled cat its a double seemed ok doesn't drive any better with cat off any help would be appreciated . new to this computer stuff PLEASE HEIP.

o luck
Sorry to hear about your problem, but you'll get better help if you start your own thread about your specific problem instead of posting on someone else's.

matt2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just had the rough idle problem that became a p306.Had it to a couple garages As it turns out.The connections to for the injectors on top of the intake are often damaged from motor vibration.It was at the dealer and an Indi shop neither could find the issue.The third shop who the second shop referred me to said you have to look at the connections closely because the will look good and the injector still seems gets the command and operate properly while it really isn't. This shop specializes in electrical and injection and said its very common and easy to miss.Mine had a couple cylinders besides #6 ready to fail.I spent a lot of money on parts over a simple issue

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals