• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sam isn't hot for me anymore...

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 92 Ranger, Sam, doesn't get hot for me anymore. I know her juices still flow, but she's just at that age where things aren't like they used to be.

With all that being said, here are the issues. Well, I should say "issue". I didn't have any heat in her at all. I swapped the thermostat because I already had one, and I have some heat now, but it is intermittent. It will get warm while the truck sits and idles, but as soon as I start driving the heat cools off. Does this sound like a heater core issue? Ford heat is notorious for melting you out of the truck pretty quick, but Sam takes forever to put out even the little heat that she does. I'm leaning toward the heater core, but it's not leaking, the windshield isn't fogging up, and I don't smell antifreeze. Of course, those symptoms all point toward a leaking heater core and not one that's just gunked up inside. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Genisis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 / V-6 (Vulcan)
Transmission
Automatic
Slycer, I have to say that my "Betsy" (94 3.0) was almost the same. Unless I get her out on the highway and run at speed for a while. I changed t-stat and flushed the radiator and bought a new cap as well, but, didnt change anything until recently. I am now getting the temp readings closer to the "N" on NORMAL and seeing the t-stat open and close. Even got to the "R" a few times before the t-stat opened. Freaked me out a little but thats what it should be doing, so Im hoping it will remain this way.

Are you sure your cap is holding 16lbs of pressure?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, coolant flows through the heater core all the time. Temp is regulated by the mixer door under the dash. If it is stuck open to the cold side you will never get heat. Common fail. If it fails to the hot side (they never seem to do that) you have too much of a good thing.

So, both heater hoses should be hot if coolant is flowing. About the same temp as the upper rad hose.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, seven months later, I figure I should post an update. I bought a new heater core for Sam, opened her up, and I didn't like the looks of my antifreeze. It looked like chocolate milk. So, I figured it was time to do some work. I flushed her out really well, and then replaced the heater core, heater hoses (one was still factory), upper and lower radiator hoses (lower was still factory), AND the radiator. Of course, Sam just HAD to have the super cool option, so I had the transmission cooler lines going into and coming out of my radiator. The upper line was easy to disconnect. The bottom one was a witch with a capital B. The damn nut started to round off. So, I did what any smart, self-respecting shade tree mechanic would do. I cursed a blue streak up and down at the person who designed this lovely thing, had a beer (or three) and then disconnected the cooler line at the bottom where it switches over to a rubber hose before the actual transmission cooler. Then I very carefully pulled the radiator out. Once it was out, I was able to get a better look at the line and get it off. Everything was pretty easy from that point on. Except for ordering a two row radiator instead of a single row. Yay me! I got the right radiator, put it in, and she's got heat again (now that we're in spring and soon to be summer in a month). She's running a little better as well. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals