• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 3.0 leaking exhaust valve cylinder 4

Flintster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Father in law bought it with 104k miles. CEL showed p0304 checked gap on plug,spark on wire and at coil.ohm'd injectors. Compression test were all cylinders at 145-150,except #4 which was 30psi.
I don't have a leak down tester but I followed Eric the car Guy's work around. Pushing 100psi into the cylinder while its at TDC. Result was leaking air out of tail pipe.
Question comes from my father in law. Is it required to remove and replace both heads?
Thanks and feel free to add anything it might do different and better.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Nice work on the diagnoses

You can just pull and repair the one head, I have done that.
And you shouldn't need to replace the head, valve job and surfacing should be all that is needed.

But to pull and repair the one head is the same labor as doing both, only difference is the 8 head bolts and the 6 exhaust manifold bolts on the other head.
And if valves are bad on one side..................well others should really be checked, hate to have to do other head in 6 months.

When you buy the gasket kit it will have both head gaskets, and you have to buy new head bolts, which come sets of 16 for both heads.

Head bolts are TTY now, which are better, but can only be tighten one time as they stretch on the final 90deg rotation, this gives much better holding strength but also means they can't be reused because they don't un-stretch when loosened so they are likely to break if reused either at the time of installing or a few weeks down the road after a few heat up cool down cycles of the engine.

Also check out this 3.0l rebuild article: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0-build.html

In 1999 3.0l head bolts changed, so make sure you have the shorter 1998 engine/bolts
Also valve stem sizes changed in '99

And ranger 3.0l head gaskets are different than the car 3.0l head gaskets, not interchangeable.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals