• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting issues after rolling my 87 B2.

Ron15423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I rolled my 87 B2 recently so I have a new body and frame coming. My issue is that now I can only start it by touching the wire straight from the starter to positive battery terminal.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Sounds like you smashed/screwed the fender solenoid, or screwed up the ignition switch

Ron15423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you smashed/screwed the fender solenoid, or screwed up the ignition switch
I replaced the solenoid no difference. The ignition seems to work correctly except it won't engage the starter.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I replaced the solenoid no difference. The ignition seems to work correctly except it won't engage the starter.
Then its not working properly :)

Either way, i cant see how putting it on its lid/side would of damaged any wireing, but it is possible i guess. I would start chasing wires. I know theres a few fusable links, but i *think* that those would also keep the fuel pump from running.

Electrical isnt my strong suit, hopefully one of the wireing gurus will be along.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
I would think that you pinched a wire or shorted something out in the ignition system if you can only jump it. Can you open the hood? Follow the wires and see what's grounded out?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like the fender solenoid [relay - for RonD ;) ] is not working. Check the wires.
There is probably 3 posts on the solenoid. The smallest is for the ignition switch wire. The two big ones are for all the rest. One big one will go to the starter....and NO OTHER wires should be connected there. The opposite big post is for all the rest; the battery positive and any other wires needing battery positive.

You may have messed up the wires when replacing them.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Threads merged. Thanks Rusty.

@Ron15423, please start only one thread. It makes things easier for others to find and respond to your thread.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL, yes, it is a Relay

On the inter fender the larger battery positive cable is connected to the Starter Relay(also called starter solenoid)
On this relay is a smaller post labelled with an "S"

When the "S" post gets 12volts this relay closes and sends Battery Voltage to Starter Motor from the other larger cable, and post, on this relay

Battery"+"----(large cable)-----------Relay-------(large cable)-----------Starter motor
ignition switch-----(small wire)----------/

When you turn the key to START the ignition switch sends 12v out to Starter Relay "S" post.

BUT.......................

That 12v runs thru a Safety switch to prevent engine from starting "in gear"
On a manual trans vehicle this is the Clutch safety switch, clutch pedal must be pushed down all the way to pass that 12v from ignition switch

On an automatic they used an NSS(neutral safety switch) on the drivers side of transmission, in 1987 it would have an A4LD trans, and the NSS would be a screw in/plunger style switch just above trans shift rod
Trans must be in Park or Neutral for this switch to pass the 12v to starter relay

Battery----------ignition switch--------safety switch-------------starter relay(solenoid, lol)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals