• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 courier/ ranger build

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well I haven't touched it since last weekend seems like the only time I have for it so tomorrow I hope I can have cross member figured out after that I hope things can move along easier for a little bit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well i cleaned up more of the frame and pulled the steering gear box off along with steering column which i didn't plan on doing. I had to notch more of the frame looks like the alternator is going to be the biggest issue with the fitment. I loosened off the tightener and pushed the alternator in to get my clearance and centered. I measured up for the cross member and then realized I dont have any zip discs or means to cut the tubing so called it quits and went and shot my gun for a bit which was fun on a nice day. Will take the tubing to work either tonight yet or tomorrow and get it sized up. I regret not pressure washing it all prior to starting or even half way thru but I dont want to make a ice covered driveway so If I get it sized up before I weld anything up I'll scrape the frame from gunk and spray nine it and maybe be more enthusiastic about getting under the truck and just working more in there.

Either way progress is progress.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good. I really want to build a courier one of these days

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
MOAR UPDATES!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
MOAR UPDATES!

I'm sorry I have been working alot of overtime lately and avoiding the deep freeze we have going on here... there is suppose to be a break from the cold and I will get back at it again.

Everytime I went in there the last few times I end up having to cut more before I can build lol hopefully I can get some constructive when i get at it again the destructive side always takes alot out of me with my zip cuts and poor ventilation in the cold

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
My up dates have been lacking from me lacking to find time to do the work..

I got the frame cleaned up from cutting off brackets and prepped for getting some stuff folded up to u around the frame for support and just because I want it too look good.

I have been doing home renos and stay out of the cold work but it's been a little milder and only suppose to get better this next week. But I was out in the shop and felt like the clutter was getting closer and closer so spent a hour and a bit cleaning up and rearranging the work space. I remember always getting after my dad's shop for the same mess and now I understand life happens and things get in the way. Either way i hope I can have something more exciting in the next week maybe even actual progress not just me not prioritizing my truck into my life

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Found some time to run to the shop and fold up some steel going to [ ] the frame and weld the cross member to the channels and then just spot weld it in a few places to the frame to avoid stressing the frame to much in that area.

Now that I have a plan can get to some of it tomorrow hopefully can have some good progress here this week. That doesn't involve hours of grinding and sweeping!

I have basically everything made for motor mounts already just need to size up and fit.. transmission mount will be really straight forward.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Finally got enough frame notched out and got it low enough to sit in its finally resting place..

I tacked he cross member in with my flux core welder (man do i dislike those machines) and got it set up for welding solid.. I need to rent a bottle or maybe snag one from work for a weekend and weld it all up so I can continue..

I looked at putting the trans in but seen issues with the tunnel I got courageous and cut the floor out which makes me now think I should just continue and cut the firewall out completely and put new metal across.. I can fold it up at the shop and be done with it. Either way more progress hope I continue to get farther along. I ran out of propane for my heater and lost interest after it cooled off but hope to get back at it this week again

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I always thought these were cool little gems. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the old gal! Kudos!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Awesome progress!

Cut, cut, cut... That's how you start snowballing. Haha. Sometimes it's easier to just make your own floor and firewall.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome progress!

Cut, cut, cut... That's how you start snowballing. Haha. Sometimes it's easier to just make your own floor and firewall.
Truth

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Yeah well I planned on fixing the floor and knew I had to modify the tunnel for my bell but ya it's easier to fold all up as a plan and make welding points that's my thought anyways.. I am excited to see what my outcome is when I'm done.

Next thing is looking into getting gas for my mig welder again I think work will get me a tank for the cost of gas no rental

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well i have no pictures atm but motor and trans are mounted the trans mount is completed then motor mount is welded enough to hold motors weight but need to pull motor out and finish up welding the ears.

My alternator tightens up so that problem is solved.. I need to cope out just a bit for my primer pump to my injection pump but that's a small detail. I also need to cope the trans mount just a bit where the shaft goes to the front diff.. I have a bw1350 transfer case with the slip in the case.. would like to get a manual 1354 to have the slip in the shaft instead but have to see if I come across one.

Spring storms have been happening which means shoveling and keeping water away from my house. Be neat to put a plow on this beast once it's done may have to built those features in as I go as shoveling The drive way got old fast.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Can't wait to see more pics!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lookin good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals