• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgrading Sound

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So, I am thinking of upgrading my sound either in the spring or on a random warm weekend over the winter.

I think I have pretty much everything I need from a system I pulled from a previous car (except for needing 2 more door speakers and line out converters to use with the stock head unit)

Here is my question. In my previous car I ran two amps to run 4 door speakers and a sub and hence a dual amp kit (4 gauge main power cable with 60a inline fuse thru a distribution block out to two 8 gauge wires to the amps) In the Ranger I am not doing a sub, so what should i get for a power cable? I assume my current 4 gauge with 60a is too much for a single amp running door speakers? Should I get an 8 gauge power cable and a smaller inline fuse (actual amp has a 25a fuse)?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
id just fine to use that wiring kit cause u still are using the same amp so ur wiring should be rated for ur amp even if u dont hook up a sub and its just speakers.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You would be fine with what you have, the amp will only draw what it needs. but if you insist I would say 8 gauge and a 30amp fuse should do just fine, what is the RMS and MAX rating on the amp?

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
4 ga into distro block into 2 8 ga and leave one 8 ga unhooked and run the otherone to the amp

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
4 ga into distro block into 2 8 ga and leave one 8 ga unhooked and run the other one to the amp
Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking. And would make it a lot easier if i decide I do want a sub down the road

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have suggestions for cheaper alternatives (brands) to dynamat?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can use the 4 gauge with distribution block like nineteen91 said, (that's exactly what I did in my truck) but you should go with a 25 amp fuse instead of using the 60A you have. If you ever put another amp in, put a bigger fuse in.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can use the 4 gauge with distribution block like nineteen91 said, (that's exactly what I did in my truck) but you should go with a 25 amp fuse instead of using the 60A you have. If you ever put another amp in, put a bigger fuse in.

Thanks. Will do that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals