• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new sound system. suggestions?

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright im new to the site and i havent found much on what im looking for. im a huge partier(i dont i spelled that right) and i would love to have an awesome sound system for when im backed up to the fire. i have a naw JVC head unit waiting to be installed. i dont know what to do about speakers, tweeters, or subs though. ide love for you guys to pour all the info and suggestions you possibly can on me. my stock speakers just arent loud enough when im drunk.
:icon_cheers:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
clarion is my favorite. get 4 100 watt speakers. a 100x4 amp for them, a 500 watt amp 2 ohm and a 12" sub. trust me, it will be plenty loud.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what is your price range? do you want to get rid of your back seats you gota let us know what your trying to do other then drink and listen to music

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright thats fair. first off i drive a regular cab, not an extended cab. so therefore i have no back seats. as far as price range goes i could put like 250-300 into it. maybe more if i broke it up over time.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
clarion is my favorite. get 4 100 watt speakers. a 100x4 amp for them, a 500 watt amp 2 ohm and a 12" sub. trust me, it will be plenty loud.
do something along the lines of what he said. i have mostly pioneer stuff in my dakota (the daily driver) and it's been doin fine for me.
i hate to tell ya but 250-300 will just be getting you started.

this is what i put in my daily-
pioneer head unit
old ass 9-band (i think) EQ
pioneer 600w 4 channel pushing two pioneer 5-way 6x9's in the rear and two power bass 5.25 components up front
pioneer 800w monoblock pushing two (busted) blackmore 12's in a ported box.
i'm currently arguing with myself about getting two rockford fosgate 15's or a pair of rockford 12's. to replace the subs i have now. its a space issue.

edit: dakota is an ext. cab.
in my reg. cab s10 i had the same H.U., 600w 4-channel, and 6x9's. but i had 2 of channels bridged to push an interfire 10" sub in a sealed box and it was awesome. a lot of people couldnt believe i only had 3 speakers in that thing.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
06 ranger knows his stuff.

in my b2, i have:

pioneer mvh8300bt (no cd player, less moving parts, didn't want one... don't question me! lol)
kenwood 525.4-- 4 channel amp
memphis pr 5x7's (2) and 4.5's (2) and streetedge tweeters (2)
kicker 750.1 mono class d amp (use a mono class d amp for sub)
single kicker cvr dvd 10" in a custom sealed box

and trust me, its loud enough (yet still clear) that you can't sit in the cab turned up.. and with that single 10" i can still knock pics off the wall of my house when i'm parked in the driveway.

here's what the box looks like, i love my box, so i like to whore it out lol

only thing i'm gonna do is mount my amps upside down in the "opening" so you can't see them as well, and so they won't move around. its a great idea in a suv.. i know.. you don't have a suv. WHATEVER you do, find a way to do a single 10 or 12 in a small box that doesn't take up much space, b/c you will regret it later when you get a few years older...

edit: wow, just realize how bad my wiring looked there. that was before i cleaned it all up, it looks much better now... you don't see any of the wiring except when it hooks to the amp right beside the amp.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ild buy a nice radio and some decent speakers cuz with ur budget thats about all you could do for now ild put off the 4 channel amp and the sub till mabie after tax time so you would be able to toss another 200 or 300 into it

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Point made. But go ahead and buy good enough speakers so you don't have to buy twice

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
alright well again i failed to leave all the information. i have a jvc head unit out of my last car before it got totaled. i also have two 12's and a 1200 watt amp on them. now i would have no problem pulling the sub out, building a box, and getting a 100 dollar amp. or maybe less depinding on how big of an amp you guys suggest. now i know my head unit isnt the greatest but it kicks the crap out of the one i got in there now. the last owners put one in but first of all it retails for 45 dollars and they did a terrable job setting it up. what i basically need advice on is speakers. and how to set them up. i understand you can hook an amp up to speakers??? i dont really understand how that works. wiring is like a whole different world to me. so i need speaker suggestions, brands and prices, and amp suggestions and how-to. 4.0B2 you seem to know a decent amount. and 06rangerxlt knows everything (everytime i post he has answers for me) alright theres a decent little bit. lemme know my best path to loudness.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok, if i was you...

i'd sell the amp and subs you have now.. use that money to get GOOD mids/highs. kicker, clarion, memphis.. whatever. just do A LOT of research. read a lot of reviews. personally, as mentioned above, i'm a Memphis Audio guy. then buy one of the pioneer 10" or 12" slim line sub and the amp to match it. then build a thin box that's just the size of airspace you need. i would skip on the 4 channel right now if i was you. ONLY reason i have one is b/c i had an old school Clarion processor headunit (didn't put out watts, only volts.. HAD to use an amp w/ it)

what are these 12's you have? and the 1200 watt amp?

alright. let me try to explain it, on my b2. i took Shielded RCA's from the headunit to the 4 channel amp, then ran all new wires from the amp to my mids/highs.

same thing on my mono class d amp for my sub. shielded RCA'S from the headunit to the amp, then heavy gauge speaker wire from the amp to the sub box.

also make sure to run your power wires on one side of the cab (i.e. driver side) and the RCA's on the other side (passenger side). even tho i say use GOOD shielded RCA's, you can still get feedback and whines and noises and stuff sometimes if the power wires are ran over the RCA's.

remember, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

www.crutchfield.com is an awesome website for all car audio stuff; not saying they are the cheapest but there are lots of reviews of most the audio stuff and they have TOP NOTCH customer service.

just always do research before you buy b/c they look good or the specs look good... usually you can find reviews of everything.

and for what its worth-- i would skip the 4 channel amp right now and just run the headunit powering the subs but if your ranger has a factory "amp" you need to run new wires or bypass the factory amp. sometimes its better just to run new wires anyways.

i didn't mean to get so lengthy lol

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
no its ok lengthy is good lol i need every little detail and bit so i can try to get an understanding of whats at hand. i appreciate it. also my subs and amp are PYLE. its not the best system or even well recognized, but it really kicked when i had it in my last car. i could probably sell it and the wiring kit and use that money on speakers. and you say dont use an amp on the speakers? whys that?

as for all the wiring and going from here to there and doing the this to that, im probably going to seek help from a friend. installing head units drives me crazy. also i dont know enough about the different types of wires. but i love all the feedback. im going to start looking for speakers and that 12 and post links. ide love some feedback from you guys on the products im looking at.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm saying don't do a 4 channel for now... Bc you should use the money you can to buy good speakers once. With a good headunit you can get buy without a 4 channel. I'm debating on rewiring my system without my 4 channel. The main advantage you get is better control over sound and you can push volume with power not with pure volume alone. More I think as I type this more I think I want my 4 channel still lol.

I'm not saying don't do the mono class d amp on any subs you run. You'll need an amp for subs.

Installing headunits drive me crazy to bc I'm so OCD about my wiring jobs. as long as the stock harness is still there; just buy the adapter and plug it up. Of course I think you said this one has a hack job on it so.... This is where it bugs me bc I try to solder everything... And sometimes it's hard to solder in the dash lol.

Last edited:

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any piticular resoning behind you saying a mono class d for a sub whats wrong with class a/b ?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Bc the mono class d's are made for subs. A/b class amps are usually intended for mids/highs-- like a 4 channel.

Look at any major company.. Kicker, Memphis, Orion, so on; any amp they say to pair with one of their subs is always a class D mono amp. That's just their intended use. Sure a class a/b will work but it's made for that deep low brute power.

964x4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I had 2 pioneer 10s in my ranger splash i had an it was plenty loud for that single cab truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals