• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 1998 5.0 Explorer wireing help!!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure 1, 8, 9, 13, 34, 36, 42 have power and ground. Pin 5 MUST be hooked up to the fuel pump hot wire side of the relay. If not, the engine will not stay running. Verify you have spark during crank and run, not just crank. You can do this by turning the key to run and jumping the starter relay. If it starts this way but without the key, then your ecu relay is not connected to the hot in run and crank, just hot in run...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wooooooooo!!!!!!

WOW!! It RUNS!!!!! WOOOOOO!!! Thank you so much!! Wow, I was missing 2 wires! Now to work the bugs out! I cant thank you so much!!!
You are Awesome!!!
Ill keep puctures updated.
Chris AZ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Glad you got her going. Theres no satisfaction like hearing your project come to life :icon_thumby:

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
SVT,
Sorry was excited and posted!!
A few questions,,
Pin #1, pcm power to realy, Is that a "key only power?"
Pin #5, I got from you.
Pin # 8, continious power.. got that..
Pin # 9, fuel pump relay coil??? Key on? from what? to who? "I put power to it just to run"
Pin # 36, pcm power from relay,,, "only power when key on??"

Thanks so much for all the help, Im sure ill have more questions :)
Chris AZ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pin 1 is power for the ignition coils, hot in run & start.
Pin 9 is power for fuel injectors, IAC, & MAF, hot in run & start
pin 15 is fuel pump relay, this turns the fuel pump relay (coil wire) on from the ecu
pin 36 is power to trans & O2 sensors

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome!!!!! Thanks so much! I put power to the fuel pump relay and it ran for about 4 min!!! Now Sunday, time to wire it correctly, I just have all the wires jumpered,,, :(
Question,, again, sorry to keep bothering you,
pin 36 is power to trans & O2 sensors,," hot in run & start"?????or just run??
Sorry I really know nothing about EFI, But after this I will thanks to you!!!

Also, I do not have the "data" port hooked up yet, "I still need to get that off the Explorer... Which wires do I use? And how many are there on that plug??
Thanks again for all your time and help!
Chris AZ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pin 36 is hot in run. The OBD2 port is only 5 wires, 3 for data port, one hot, one ground. Follow the wire colors, black is ground, the remaining wire is hot all times. I can get you exact wire colors and pin location if you need them, i just don't remember them offhand...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome!! Thanks! Ill go get the plug this weekend and wire it up, im thinking the colors and pin# off c115 42 pin may be the same?
Ok, next problem,, is there a nutrel safety something built in the pcm? I put it in reverse and it runs. I put it in drive or anyother forward gear and it dies???
So it is a 96 engine harness and a 98 4x4 trans harness... You think something in that may be wrong? Or a wire out of the 42 pin plug needs to be hooked up??
Again, sorry to bother you, but it is running! Brought the NOS, "not a reman" Motor up to temp tonight! No issues!!
Thanks, Chris

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Test Drive!!

Update! Thanks RANGER SVT for all the help and info!!
So I had a issue with the motor dies when you go in drive but not reverse.. Thant’s because I had a 96 motor harness and a 98 trans harness. I pit the 96 harness in, "all matching out of same vehicle, pcm and motor harness and trans harness", And it runs! I was able to drive it around, But the trans "hunted" for h
gears, I think it is starting out in 2nd gear, even if you manually put it in first, feels like 2nd. Put it in drive and moves along, feels like O/D is working, then it tries to down shift... Now, on the 96 trans harness there was a 2 wire plug extra,, I don’t know what that went to off the 96 Explorer?? Would that be a vss sensor at the trans spedo gear? Could this be the problem?
Or am I missing something off the C115 main plug, with 42 pins?? I did hook up the TC lock out up correctly, the pcm needs to see ground all the time until you touch the brake pedal. But I have not done the O/D lock out yet??
Any help would be great!
Thanks again, Chris AZ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The 2 extra wires are the vss on the tailhoising. The ecu needs this to determine shift points, tc lockup, and engine load at different speeds...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting! That makes total since! Ill head to lunch in a few,,, sneak down to the junk yard where I got the 96 harness and get the VSS and try that!! Ill keep you updated!
Thanks again for all the help!!

P.S I just took it down to have a tailpipe made!! Nice and quiet!!! :)
5.0? what 5.0??? LOL

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That's an awesome pic!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a nice looking tow rig you got there...

SVT

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! That was lots of work! Ford never built a crew cab 4x4 long bed in 73-9. So,,, I needed to make one! 76, Dana 60's front and rear, 4:10 gears, 4 wheel disc,ARB's front and rear, 557 motor, C6,NP 203\205 doubler,Gear vendor overdrive unit, winches front and rear......

As for the Ranger, I have the VSS in, just need to extend the wires.. First thing tomorrow!!
Chris AZ

longboss351

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update!! Help!! Lol

Ok guys,,, Update… I did hook up the VSS in the rear of my np205. Verified pulse.. Took the truck for a drive,, same issue with shifting as before! I found on the Explorer forum that the pins in plug # C111 need to be swapped to match the 98 trans..

So to clarify that I am using in the Ranger,, 1998 motor and trans with a under drive and a NP 205 transfer case. Now,, with all the issues I have had,, I did get a 1996 motor and trans harness with the matching PCM and VSS sensor. Also the trans range selector switch.. So a 96 trans harness is different at plug # C111. So I swapped the pins around from the 96 harness to match the 98 C111. With the 2 power wires not used… Still have a shifting problem.
Also hooked up the TC on/off from plug # C115 42 pin connector, pin 4 brake on/off to a relay so the trans sees ground in normal driving. Then apply brakes and it gets power to kick TC off.. “NOT WORKING”??
Also hooked up pin 12 from C115 “interment cluster” for O/D on and off to a momentary switch to send power to signal the PCM to turn on and off O/D… “also not working” And pin 40 from C115 on a led to indicate O/D off.. “also not working”

HELP!!! Im going crazy!!!! Lol
Chris AZ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals