• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3t Install

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if anyone here has done or knows what it entails to drop a 2.3t in a bII. I've heard of a few and seen one , but no details have been shared yet that I've found. I hear there is a frame difference that makes it impossible, but not it has already been done.. Anyhow was just wondering if it can be done(bolt in) with ranger parts or do mounts have to be fabbed? :icon_welder:

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My truck in an 89' 2.9 4x4 in case you were wondering.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not "bolt in".
I believe the Lima engines required a cross member for motor mounts which B2 never had

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no issues putting the 2.3T plant into the B2 or ranger. needs a rear sump pan, and you can modify the 2.9 engine mounts with the 2.3 block brackets to work. there are significant threads on doing the swap, in the tech section as well as the forced induction sub forum.

there are other considerations, your transmission won't work with the 2.3, different bell housing. the heater box will need modification to clear the turbo elbow unless you opt for a body lift or relocate the turbo to center mount with a header or flip the stock E3/E6 header.

take a look here, as a starting point.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Turbos.shtml

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I looked but haven't found any writeups on this, at least one with details on mounting. The link you gave is actually for a Ranger not a broncoII. I plan to adapt a 4r70w from a mid 90s F150 4wd. Thanks guys. Keep it coming.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 4x4 cross member is identical in the Ranger as it is in the Bronco II. there is no other engine mount variance. Haven't seen anyone that has adapted a 4R70w to the lima bolt pattern. Any opposition to the AOD? will hold any amount of power you can make out of the 2.3T.

What is your HP goal with the 2.3T?

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, with the 4r70w being electronically controlled, how are you planning on managing that end? the control modules are $600+.

Swap the 4r70w internals into a 302 (Windsor pattern) AOD case, and use canfield's Windsor to lima adapter plate- gives you the 4r70w strength, without having to re-invent the wheel to make it adapt.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure the crossmember is the same to bolt in a 2.3? I just here rumors of it being different. Just want to be sure. So in that case I should just need 2.3 ranger 4x4 engine mounts, and a rear sump pan? As far as 4r70w adapts to 2.3 same as aod correct? I'm just going to control it with a CBAZA EEC with a Moates Quarterhorse. The trans I need will be from an engine using sbf pattern that's why I said a mid 90s f150 4wd.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My plans are anywhere from 350-500 hp (flywheel)

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had both an 87 bronco II and 87 Ranger, BOTH with the engines out side by side and inspected the cross members. I saw no differences between the two.

the 4r70w I believe is the Modular pattern, and the bell in integrated into the case- not removable like the C4 is. the Windsor bolt pattern and Modular bolt pattern are not the same. I have not seen an adapter plate for the modular pattern to 2.3(lima), whereas Canfield has already produced the Windsor to 2.3(lima)

You can choose to do whatever you like, I was just suggesting the simple route- AOD gives you plenty of strength and overdrive, without the need for electronic control.

If it were me, I would find an AOD with the 302(Windsor) bell, buy canfield's adapter and be done with it. Monster transmissions offers a 4x4 AOD for about $1000. How much HP do you want to support? (sorry, missed your last post. I still would choose the AOD for 500HP at the flywheel with some internal modifications)

Last edited:

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just fyi the model I listed above is a 4r70 with sbf bell. Correct they are not removable. Thank for th info on the b2 frame it UPS my confidence greatly for the swap.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My choice for the 4r70 is for a few reasons. 1- I plan to run it as is(with the j-mod), 2-it has better 1st gear for 4cyl, and 3- its electronically controlled. There are quite a few that came with the 5.0/5.8 bell pattern from mid to late 90's trucks, explorers and maybe bronco's.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know for sure if the stock turbo coupe oil fan will work? I looked at pics online comparing 2.3 ranger and 2.3 t-bird oil pans, and they looked the same.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its doable, hardest part is finding the appropriate 2.3 4x4 frame mounts....good luck haha. You have to use the ranger aluminum oil pan to clear the 4x4 engine crossmember.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd also recommend just using the ranger 2.3 4x4 m5od 5 speed trans instead of messing with the f150 stuff. Its been proven to handle 300hp. If you can't find the 2.3 4x4 trans you can make one by swapping the main shaft & tail housing of a v6 4x4 trans into a 2.3 2wd trans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals