• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disappearing Coolant

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen various "stop leak" products at Autozone and always questioned whether they actually worked / didn't make things worse when it came time to do the repair properly. What is a "fiber" stop leak?
I have been told that this stuff will not plug up anything. Read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634621-Cooling-System-Tablet/dp/B000QIH3C4

Heard about it on this forum. I was told it was developed by/for GM to seal the head gasket "seepage" Cadillac was experiencing with one of their engines. Not blown head gaskets; but, head gasket external leaks. They supposedly put it in all new vehicles at the factory with that engine.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Blue devil head gasket sealer is awesome. Ive used it in a couple of rigs that had blown head gaskets (milky oil, billowing steam out of the exhaust) if you follow the directions the stuff works, has for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyquil Junkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem, I was puzzled at where all the coolant was going with no drip.
I had a lower intake gasket leak. It was dripping down the hot block and evaporating most of the time, once it was bad enough to actually find it was obvious where it was coming from. it was losing a quart a day with no signs of a leak for a long time.

Then the gasket blew and well.... it was no mystery anymore.

Blue devil is good stuff, it holds for a while, long enough to buy you some time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

goatranch1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was having same problem. Finally got it up to hot with hood open and discovered it was the water outlet had rotted away under the radiator hose so coolant was pushed out on top of hot engine and evaporated. So simple I felt really dumb for not finding it sooner.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When my motorcycle developed a coolant leak, I was able to find it by the tell tale green spots on the engine. That green coolant, when it dries after it leaks out, it leaves tell tale dried greenish stains on thins it dries on. You guys aren't seeing that? Odd. :icon_confused:

My 98 3.0 Ranger has never had a coolant leak of any type. Wonder if it's because I've changed the coolant three times in the 17 years I've owned it? When coolant goes bad, it causes leaks because it no longer has the correct properties to protect the metal it resides in. It causes metal parts to disintegrate. Speaking of which, I need to change it again. It's been almost 8 years since it was last changed. My sister had the truck for 4 years, and I meant to change it when I got it back from her. Boy how time flies when you're having fun!!!

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hey guys, I don't post much here, but I'd greatly appreciate a little advice. I hope I posted this question in the correct subforum.

I have a 1997 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 with the 4.0L V6 and an automatic trans. My problem is that I every time I open my hood, my coolant overflow bottle is bone dry. I can't find any leaks in the hoses, and there's no puddle of coolant under the truck after I park. I just changed the oil not long ago, and it didn't look like a milkshake, and I don't have any white smoke out of the exhaust so as far as I know there's no head gasket problems. Operating temperature is always totally normal. I am dumbfounded as to where all this coolant could be going. It seems to disappear into thin air. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mine had a cracked head that caused that, very common on these motors. If you notice that you foul a certain plug every 5000 miles and its nice and white youll know your problem.. At least thats what mine did haha[emoji23]
Mine never overheated either btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals