• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger rear end help!!! :bawling:

zrange97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 97 ranger 4.0, 4x4

its got 197,000 miles, been flipped, and totaled twice, i bough the truck for 9000 Pennies it just my daily driver, and is making a knocking noise in the rear end when i go up driveways and over bumps.

i took the back wheels off the other day and you can pull each axle out about 3/4 of an inch...

can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced, or tightened???

Thanks Zach

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Excessive endplay means your limited slip clutches are worn out. Endplay increases as the friction material wears off of the plates. All you can really do is replace them.

zrange97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How hard is it to replace them :icon_confused:
money wise?
Labor wise?
Thanks for the input:headbang:

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That actually might not be to much, The axle will go in and out about 1/2" or so, That is so you can remove the C-Clips and then you have to pull them out to install the cross pin so I'm guessing thats not your problem however you may have a backlash issue due to the high miles, If I was you I would pull the cover off and remove the wheels and drive shaft and check the contact pattern with some yellow gear paint from a auto parts store ( http://www.precisiongear.com/pgtechpatterns.htm ) inspect the axle splines and side gears while your at it and pinion for any slop up and down and in and out.

Last edited:

zrange97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys ill give you updates once i finally tear into it one weekend!

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There should be very little end play on the axles. 1/2 inch is way too much. You have to remove the cross pin to slide the axles in and get the c-clips off. About 1/16 of an inch is pretty much normal end play. The less play the better. Too much end play can break c-clips and the nubs off of the axles from beating back and forth.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There should be very little end play on the axles. 1/2 inch is way too much. You have to remove the cross pin to slide the axles in and get the c-clips off. About 1/16 of an inch is pretty much normal end play. The less play the better. Too much end play can break c-clips and the nubs off of the axles from beating back and forth.
Correct with all the brakes and drums on but once you remove that there is much more than 1/16, think about it the c clip is thicker than that on its own. It may not be 1/2 but its at least 1/4 if not a touch more, My axle is pretty much brand new with new gears and a locker and thats what I have, not much you to change there to make it less.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Correct with all the brakes and drums on but once you remove that there is much more than 1/16, think about it the c clip is thicker than that on its own. It may not be 1/2 but its at least 1/4 if not a touch more, My axle is pretty much brand new with new gears and a locker and thats what I have, not much you to change there to make it less.
The endplay is determined by the distance between the side gears in the diff. and the cross pin. You can install thicker shims in the limited slip clutches to get less end play. It's the side gears moving too far outward due to worn clutches or incorrect shimming that causes the end play. Thicker shims move the gears toward the center of the diff. and reduce the end play. Removing the brake drums shouldn't change the end play at all, unless there is a huge ridge on the inner edge of the drum causing it to catch on the brake shoes.
If You're trying to say that there should be enough end play to remove the c-clips without removing the cross pin, they would fall out on their own and You'd be stopping to pick up your axles as soon as You pulled out of the driveway.

Last edited:

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No I know am not saying that you should be able to remove the c clips without removing the cross pin, But no doubt about it you can't shim the side gears to remove that much slop otherwise you would remove all lash from the differential and that wouldn't be good at all. I do agree that you could add a thicker thrust washer to remove some of the end play but not all. And yes I was saying the the brakes being rust or froze to the hub would cause you to get false readings

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You can completely shim the side gears to remove the slop (typically by just replacing the L/S clutches if it's a L/S rearend). Obviously you don't shim it so tight where things are all bound up (not sure it's even possible, you would not be able to get the cross shaft back in, forcing you to reduce your shims a size or two).

I've also seen different thickness c-clips you can get for it too. I have about 0.5mm endplay on mine.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Junkie Do your axles have o-rings on the axles also? When I tore into my 8.8 this past weekend I found there to be a small o-ring in the c clip slot and of course it broke when but haven't noticed a difference

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can completely shim the side gears to remove the slop (typically by just replacing the L/S clutches if it's a L/S rearend). Obviously you don't shim it so tight where things are all bound up (not sure it's even possible, you would not be able to get the cross shaft back in, forcing you to reduce your shims a size or two).

I've also seen different thickness c-clips you can get for it too. I have about 0.5mm endplay on mine.
Yep,You'll run out of room to get the shaft back in before you get the diff. gears to bind up. Been there, done that when trying to save a few bucks on my own truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe they're still in there on mine, but not real sure. I think those o-rings are just an assembly aid on the production lines (holds the clip in place).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals