• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L ACCEL Fuel Injectors

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone installed ACCEL fuel injectors before?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ACC-150-614
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/accelfuelinj-fordtruck.html

They claim a 10-15Hp increase over stock, but i would doubt that on the 3.no

I want to replace my injectors due to hard starting, power loss, and slight surging when it is held at higher RPM. These look like my cheapest option. local parts stores want $85 each for replacement injectors. The ACCEL injectors are matched/balanced to +/- 1.5% of flowing rating.

anyone used these injectors before?
or even installed a set of replacement injectors?
what improvements did you find?

thanks for the help.:icon_cheers:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How is an INJECTOR going to increase power?

You need air as well as fuel, and the amount of fuel is controlled by the computer.

Injectors are exceedingly unlikely to be the cause of your problem. If you are going to guess, go to a shop now. An hour of diagnosis costs significantly less than six injectors.

Injectors are just solenoid valves. VERY simple, nearly idiot proof.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
How is an INJECTOR going to increase power?

You need air as well as fuel, and the amount of fuel is controlled by the computer.

Injectors are exceedingly unlikely to be the cause of your problem. If you are going to guess, go to a shop now. An hour of diagnosis costs significantly less than six injectors.

Injectors are just solenoid valves. VERY simple, nearly idiot proof.
I conquer that a the ACCEL injector will not increase power compared to a stock replacement; the accel injectors are my cheapest option, i was only stating what was on the Flatlander website.

However my injectors are 14 years old and most likely clogged, leaking, poor spray/ atomization (this is based on how my engine behaves). My theory is that a new injector would *increase* power in comparison to my old injectors.

The intention for my post was to see if anyone has installed new injectors, and to see what the outcome was (better starting, response, performance, etc.)

Why do you think that the injectors are "exceedingly unlikely to be the cause of your problem"? the main issue i have is starting in the morning; it usually takes 2 tries to get it going. All my ignition hardware is fairly new, <1 year (cap, rotor, plugs, wires); i also run MSD ignition the fuel filter is also is a few months old. this leads me to believe that the injectors are leaking slowly over night and flooding the engine, thats why it take 2 tries to start, the first time it almost gets going then slowly dies out. 2nd crank it fires up as normal. During the day it starts normally.

thanks for your comments, have you any other suggestions for diagnosis? :beer:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, one obvious potential problem is the fuel pressure regulator.

Cold engines are almost always poorer-running than warm engines. ANY problem you have is likely to be worse. And a large number of potential emissions problems can make the mixture rich.

This could be as simple as a loose ground.

And "14 years old" doesn't mean "clogged." Injectors very often last longer than the vehicles they are in.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The injectors might have like... (trying to think of the word) a bigger "passage way" so the hole (in basic terms) might be a little bit larger to get a little bit more fuel in there, but I doubt that a 10-15HP increase would happen

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you cannot use bigger injectors to increase power with out increasing airflow, period. all bigger injectors will do is make you run rich and cause more problems. When it comes to emission controls, MAKG knows his stuff.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There is NO reason to think that increasing the max flow rate of the injector would increase power in this case.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
The injectors might have like... (trying to think of the word) a bigger "passage way" so the hole (in basic terms) might be a little bit larger to get a little bit more fuel in there, but I doubt that a 10-15HP increase would happen
what your thinking is called "flow rate", like fastpakr said. the stock injectors are 14lbs/hr, and this is what the computer is programmed for. if you installed higher flowing injectors without reprogramming your computer or modifying your MAFS to match them, you will get a RICH engine. this will not only decrease power and economy, but will foul out various parts such as plugs and cat. converters.

increasing injector flow rate (and reprogramming the computer for such) is one of 2 steps for increasing power output of a motor. the other step is increasing air input (such as with a super or turbo charger).

all that said, i would also have my doubts about the injectors causing your problems. thats what the fuel filter is for. if your injectors were flooding your cylinders overnight, you would most likely get a poof of black smoke when you first fire the truck off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals