• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel lines and deleting canister?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
running my fuel lines and trying to figure out how im going to adapt everything.
the empty canister is such a pain in the ass to hook up to with an lines bc there isnt enough room for a russel quick disconnect fitting. My only option it to delete it. Anyone have any experience with that? Ive heard it has a check valve in it that aids cold starts and is a reservoir. Im sayoing screw it and i ordered some barbs with 6 AN on the other end and its all coming out.

Let me know if you have deleted it and experienced any adverse effects. You can blow in both directions on the tubs so im not seeing a check valve I think ill be ok

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh Bronco II 1987...empty canister

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let me know if you have deleted it and experienced any adverse effects. You can blow in both directions on the tubs so im not seeing a check valve I think ill be ok[/QUOTE]

I just rebuilt my fuel system from fuel tank the fpr....my intank the fuel pump is 25 psi I believe and the in line fuel pump is around 65-50 psi,(please correct me if I am wrong),..That cannister acts as a fuel resorvoir under hard acceleration situations ,prevents fuel starvation,....I found that my high pressure fuel pump was DEAD,(folks had told me at least twice that they had replaced it down through the years,once through a Ford dealership,...NOT SO), and had been for some time which explained poor very acceleration problem ......That cannister saved me from walking,(even though it was leaking),....Your call....I replaced mine with a new one from Factory OEM parts,part#Ford FOTZ-9k044-A TANK , .........

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Delete it, and the inline pump, and replace the intank pump with a high pressure pump. Ford deleted both the fuel canister and frame rail pump after 92 for a reason...

SVT

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Delete it, and the inline pump, and replace the intank pump with a high pressure pump. Ford deleted both the fuel canister and frame rail pump after 92 for a reason...

SVT
thats what i figured... Ford phased it out themselves so the "reservoir theory" didnt seem legit to me. I already removed the inline pump. When you say replace the in tank pump with a high pressure.... this is a 1987 BII so that should be fine as is correct

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I dont remember if the 87 b2 had the high pressure pump in the tank, but I believe they didn't. The low pressure intank pump won't supply enough pressure to the engine to run correctly. Cheap insurance to change it...

SVT

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That canister does contain the anti-drain back valve for the fuel system it belongs to. The BII did have the dual pump system. And, as suggested, this can all be dealt with by deleting the whole system and going to an 89+ setup.

The canister is only used on vehicles that could have had a twin-tank option, or a gen1 BII. It goes in place of the diverter valve, which also acted as the anti-drain back. It also was used as a fuel reservoir, because the in-line pump can spin up faster than the in-tank pump, and thus starve itself if you smash the pedal, especially if the tank is low. On early units, early 86 and back, they also had a serviceable filter.

In 89 Ford removed the option for dual tanks on the Rangers, moved the high pressure pump into the tank, since it no longer needed to be further up the line, and since the HP fuel pump was now in the big fuel reservoir the little one on the line was no longer needed, and deleted accordingly.

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The term Reservoir was not my theory,(see Ford part #), but I do stand corrected as the other answers sound VERY correct to me.....As to the upgrade in 1989 ,.....my Ranger is an '88...I just restored it as I found it....Like I typed,"It got me home" and then some.....What works for some does not work for others,....Peace,out....

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I dont remember if the 87 b2 had the high pressure pump in the tank, but I believe they didn't. The low pressure intank pump won't supply enough pressure to the engine to run correctly. Cheap insurance to change it...

SVT
ok i have to pull down the tank any way bc the pump is pooped so i just need to know what model to replace it with. I assumed all the in tank pumps were high pressure. But the inline was deleted in 89 so im assuming to just get an in tank pump from a 89?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That canister does contain the anti-drain back valve for the fuel system it belongs to. The BII did have the dual pump system. And, as suggested, this can all be dealt with by deleting the whole system and going to an 89+ setup.

The canister is only used on vehicles that could have had a twin-tank option, or a gen1 BII. It goes in place of the diverter valve, which also acted as the anti-drain back. It also was used as a fuel reservoir, because the in-line pump can spin up faster than the in-tank pump, and thus starve itself if you smash the pedal, especially if the tank is low. On early units, early 86 and back, they also had a serviceable filter.

In 89 Ford removed the option for dual tanks on the Rangers, moved the high pressure pump into the tank, since it no longer needed to be further up the line, and since the HP fuel pump was now in the big fuel reservoir the little one on the line was no longer needed, and deleted accordingly.
cool I will just go buy an 89 pump then and replace my in tank with it. What about the function of the anti drain back. Since im removing the canister what can i use in its place to fill that function?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help guys...great info here

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The high pressure pump is also the anti drain back. Grab a 95+ pump just to be sure, they're all the same...

SVT

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The high pressure pump is also the anti drain back. Grab a 95+ pump just to be sure, they're all the same...

SVT
cool....95 explorer? when i pull it out ill take it to the parts store and compare my pump with those to try and find once in those years that fit my sender

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
92 pump ...not sure why i kept saying 89. Im going to cut a hole in the floorboard bc i really dont feel like pulling the tank down

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up using a fuel pump from a 97 explorer 5.0..... i had to modify the sener in order to fit it and cut off part of the 3/8 pickup to have room for the pump but it worked pretty good. Ran steel braided lines from front to rear and deleted the canister on the frame as well as the high pressure fuel pump on the frame

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals