• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help on license plate lights

borlax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My license plate lights are powered through a splice in my tail lights, there is only one wire for both sockets and no ground. They are aftermarket and the style shown in the picture. I have Sylvania 1156 bulbs and can't get them to turn on. The sockets get about 11 volts with the key and lights on. The bulbs that were in it were both burnt out and were smaller on the glass part than the picture. I had a problem with the same style bulbs with 2 different scooters where the specs had to match exactly or they wouldn't work. My back up lamp sockets have no power, though I'm assuming that's the switch on the trans. All of the fuses are good. any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My license plate lights are powered through a splice in my tail lights, there is only one wire for both sockets and no ground. They are aftermarket and the style shown in the picture. I have Sylvania 1156 bulbs and can't get them to turn on. The sockets get about 11 volts with the key and lights on. The bulbs that were in it were both burnt out and were smaller on the glass part than the picture. I had a problem with the same style bulbs with 2 different scooters where the specs had to match exactly or they wouldn't work. My back up lamp sockets have no power, though I'm assuming that's the switch on the trans. All of the fuses are good. any ideas? Thanks
You know, you identified the problem in your own post.

I subtly marked the spot where you told us exactly what is wrong.

borlax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I was under the impression that the two nodes on the side of the bulb were the ground. If its just a single wire spliced to + on the tail light how would you suggest I ground it? It came with an LMC Truck bumper. It's on the lower right corner in the page of this link

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=73

Thanks

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ground it to any bare medal on the truck preferably the frame and with less than 18" of wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was under the impression that the two nodes on the side of the bulb were the ground.
No. The two nodes on the side are to lock it in place. Functionally the whole metal collar is the ground.

The nub on the bottom is the power, but you still recognize the need to hook it up to the vehicle's electrical system for that side of the circuit to work. Why is the ground side any different?

Just run a wire from the ground of the second bulb (in series is the worst way wire vehicle lights BTW) to the bumper, or the frame.

borlax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Where would the ground be on the second bulb? Wrap a wire around the metal collar?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Is there no ground terminal or anything on them? Do the sockets not have metal tabs or clips that secure the socket assembly into a hole on the metal bumper? (or is there rust or corrosion on them?)

Maybe solder a wire to each of the metal bulb sockets and then run the other end to ground.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Where would the ground be on the second bulb? Wrap a wire around the metal collar?
Get pictures of this thing please.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals