• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 5.0 into 00 ranger

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, looks like you're getting there. How close to a test drive?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, a CVTCGM trans of the correct year should work fine. An Econoline trans should also work well.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Its a little cleaner now. The truck is at the dealership for the pats to be reprogrammed. Please please dont ever trust a dealer to reprogram your pats...well, dont trust mine lol Just pull the pats system from your donir if possible. With just the explorer pcm in they said they couldn't reprogram the pats module to accept the explorer pcm. Now this is with a 2000 v6 ranger with type b, and a 2000 2wd pcm and drivetrain. So, im going to a junkyard and pulling a computer, pats module and column from another 2000 I found and put that in and go on my merry way.
uploadfromtaptalk1410357122686.jpg

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WOW! I'd have thought the PATS module from your original V6 would have lit of the PCM just fine.

As I understand the system, the Type E Pats is integral to the PCM and without keys that match the PCM, you're off to the dealer. Your original Type B Pats module from the Ranger would recognize your keys and should simply pass on the "OK" to the PCM. Did not think the PATS module and PCM were married together in any way.

Have to admit, I've no hands on, I cheated and opted for a non PATS '96 for my 02 Ranger rather than muck around with PATS. Yea, I lost the key recognition security but saved the headache and cost of the dealer.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I can reprogram the pats for you, but I'll need the ecu, pats module, pats transceiver and two keys to do it. It can be done, but there is a particular precise process that needs to be followed. I do it the same way the ford dealer does...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_welder:
WOW! I'd have thought the PATS module from your original V6 would have lit of the PCM just fine.

As I understand the system, the Type E Pats is integral to the PCM and without keys that match the PCM, you're off to the dealer. Your original Type B Pats module from the Ranger would recognize your keys and should simply pass on the "OK" to the PCM. Did not think the PATS module and PCM were married together in any way.

Have to admit, I've no hands on, I cheated and opted for a non PATS '96 for my 02 Ranger rather than muck around with PATS. Yea, I lost the key recognition security but saved the headache and cost of the dealer.
Pats E pats transceiver sends a signal to the ecu saying its the correct key, enabling the starter to crank the vehicle, as well as sending signal to the injectors to fire.
Pats type B transceiver sends a signal to the pats module saying its the correct key, which sends a signal to the ecu to send the signal to the injectors to fire...

SVT

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score

First they said they couldn't extract the vin from the pcm so it would just take longer. Then they said it should "pop up" when they plug it in so it would be ok. Then they told me that I need a new pats module, of which there were 2 types. After that they said there was only one but its obsolete and cannot be ordered, also that even if I get another pcm, pats module, transceiver, and keys from a different same year truck it still wouldn't work. Thats when it threw a red flag to me. As its been cleary stated that if all of those components from the donor are transplanted into the vehicle, including the matching pcm that it would run as if nothing had changed. Dealers smh lol

Pats E pats transceiver sends a signal to the ecu saying its the correct key, enabling the starter to crank the vehicle, as well as sending signal to the injectors to fire.
Pats type B transceiver sends a signal to the pats module saying its the correct key, which sends a signal to the ecu to send the signal to the injectors to fire...

SVT
I would love to do that, but I need the truck running by sat. Friday night actually. But I am willing to pay for the fastest shipping both ways.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

SVT
Yep, that fits with how I understand the system, I think....

Is the Pats transceiver the same on both the Type B and E systems? Had thought the transceiver was pretty much just the query system -- it then passes on the key code to either the PATS module on the Type B or the PCM on the Type E systems.

Do have to say it SUCKS that the Ford dealer is so lost in getting the job done. Should not be rocket science to use the Explorer protocol to program in new keys to the system, even if it's a Ranger.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The pats transceiver is the piece that reads the keys, it goes around the ignition cylinder. The pats module sits behind the passenger airbag, type E doesn't use a module, the ecu acts as the module...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I would love to do that, but I need the truck running by sat. Friday night actually. But I am willing to pay for the fastest shipping both ways.
I'm out of town til Monday. You can use a 96-97 ex 5.0 ecu til you get yours programmed. It'll run rich as hell and get shitty fuel mileage, but it will run without any issues, I've done it on mine...

SVT

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
I'm out of town til Monday. You can use a 96-97 ex 5.0 ecu til you get yours programmed. It'll run rich as hell and get shitty fuel mileage, but it will run without any issues, I've done it on mine...

SVT
Im gonna try with the ids one more time tomorrow. I should be able to reset the parameters of the pcm/pats module by pulling vin from the pcm, then getting an incode to pair them. Hopefully, if not, I can get an 96 ecu from a friend.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
this truck runs like a scalded dog! lol. I got the pats system from a 99 and went on my way. But phew. It's done. And im happy. Got my flowmaster 50 series on and she sounds great.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Congrats! That's always a awesome feeling to have'em run right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
I had planned on doing a write up a long time ago. I'll get to it one of these days.. but now we have a new beast.

Yesterday I got a deal. Picked up a good running 4.6 2v (with PI heads)out of an 03' crown vic police interceptor for a whopping $100(friend)
I was looking around online and seems the cheapest way to extract any power out of it would be to slap a turbo on there. Probably a gt45 @~6psi intercooled. If its possible for me to run this engine in this truck without losing all of my creature comforts i'll do it. But these are just ideas, not plans, as the 5.0 puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. But hey, why not?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had planned on doing a write up a long time ago. I'll get to it one of these days.. but now we have a new beast.

Yesterday I got a deal. Picked up a good running 4.6 2v (with PI heads)out of an 03' crown vic police interceptor for a whopping $100(friend)
I was looking around online and seems the cheapest way to extract any power out of it would be to slap a turbo on there. Probably a gt45 @~6psi intercooled. If its possible for me to run this engine in this truck without losing all of my creature comforts i'll do it. But these are just ideas, not plans, as the 5.0 puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. But hey, why not?
WOW! Now that's an ambitious project!

Even in SOHC trim, its HUGE compared to the 302. Think cylinder head to air box, exhaust manifolds to frame and steering are the hard(est) conflicts but those have been surmounted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals