• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 ext cab build thread

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We must do the things we think we cannot
Thats true. I was dead set on a 351 but changed my mind after I found out my 351 was junk. I'll have plenty of gearing if I need it lol
Ya lol. none of those dudes i talked to had a strong box.. lol

I'm gonna build a very mild 393 stroker in my spare time. with the MSD Atomic efi set up

sucks your 351 was bunk.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya lol. none of those dudes i talked to had a strong box.. lol

I'm gonna build a very mild 393 stroker in my spare time. with the MSD Atomic efi set up

sucks your 351 was bunk.
Yeah exactly. I figured if guys with 2.9's and 4.0's are happy than I will be too.

I think a stroked 351w is the way to go for all around. It wasn't in my budget or time to do that.

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I think a stroked 351w is the way to go for all around. It wasn't in my budget or time to do that.
ya my time is short too. my 4.0L's valvetrain tick is getting louder everyday i swear lol. i need to do the swap asap..

i can't find a running 351 anywhere, but i can get a 5.0L f150 donor truck that runs good with 180,000km on it for $850 right now... so i think i'm going that route now, and just build a solid 351 in my spare time.

then i could part the f150 out and make some money back off the rear end and auto tranny thats in it

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
went and took another look at the donor truck again and finalized the deal. so the swap will be fairly soon i hope :) still need to get some more things though like clutch, electric fan, clutch pedal assembly, non a/c air box, mustang convertible engine mounts, etc...

i ground out a clearance on the zf5 for the shift rail on the np205 today too

Attachments

CrowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
excited to see this come together - ill have to come out and see it when its done.

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ya i can't wait to drive it after :D

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Well, later that same night i was able to back out of buying the 88 f150/302 because i found a 75 351w out of a 3/4 ton camper van for sale with only about 40,000 original miles on it. was selling the motor and transmission together for $500. got him to sell me just the motor for $300. Its a 1974 block though which is awesome because the 69-74 351 blocks are really damn strong blocks! Its running last summer and was pulled this past april and has been stored inside. Needs a cap and rotor (because he broke it pulling the motor), and plugs. gonna throw a carb kit and a water pump at it too. also have to heli-coil a couple exhaust manifold bolt holes. I need to find some early 70's manifolds now..

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice find! Are you just going to clean it up, paint it, and run it?

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nice find! Are you just going to clean it up, paint it, and run it?
going to replace, the carb with a Holley 2brl, cap & rotor, water pump, harmonic balancer, might have a pair of 1970 manifolds here next week. Using the alternator it came with. I'll see if i have room to use the ps pump and bracket it came with as well.

other than that, just gonna run er as is. oh im gonna pop the pan and clean out the pan/new gasket. spray off the bottem end, prime er with fresh oil and fire the blue beast up!

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
popped the old manifolds off. been spraying wd-40 daily on bolts that are coming out soon. :icon_thumby:

Attachments

Last edited:

CrowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Manifolds come off without a pain? i cringe everytime i get asked to do a head job on a old truck motor

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Manifolds come off without a pain? i cringe everytime i get asked to do a head job on a old truck motor
ya came off no prob. but there are 3 bolts that are broken off from the previous dude that tried to take em off lol. at least he replaced the remaining bolts with stainless ones.

Also picking up a set of rear exit early 70's manifolds this thursday :D
And doing the 2" BL next week.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
A few random thoughts while reading,

try to find an explorer front accessory drive, I used a serpentine F150 setup, and combined with my poor placement of the mustang motor mounts, its tight all over. I had to hack up an non-a/c heater box to clear the pass valve cover, and I cut the core support a lot to tuck the 94 explorer radiator away from the water pump.

I mentioned motor mount placement. TAKE YOUR TIME. I rushed and got torch happy, not ecstatic on how it came out but it works.

Ignition: I used a duraspark dizzy and module with my TFI coil. Its just what I had. Summit Racing sells a drop in 2 wire HEI dizzy for less than $200, something I'll buy sometime soon.

Oil pan and filter: Ford racing pan worked great and I have no clearance issues, oil filter relocation kit is a must, think mine was a Mr Gasket brand. Still chasing leaks a year and a half later.

I'm sure more will come to me.

300I6Ranger4x4

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
A few random thoughts while reading,

try to find an explorer front accessory drive, I used a serpentine F150 setup, and combined with my poor placement of the mustang motor mounts, its tight all over. I had to hack up an non-a/c heater box to clear the pass valve cover, and I cut the core support a lot to tuck the 94 explorer radiator away from the water pump.

I mentioned motor mount placement. TAKE YOUR TIME. I rushed and got torch happy, not ecstatic on how it came out but it works.

Ignition: I used a duraspark dizzy and module with my TFI coil. Its just what I had. Summit Racing sells a drop in 2 wire HEI dizzy for less than $200, something I'll buy sometime soon.

Oil pan and filter: Ford racing pan worked great and I have no clearance issues, oil filter relocation kit is a must, think mine was a Mr Gasket brand. Still chasing leaks a year and a half later.

I'm sure more will come to me.
I'm going to upgrade to serpentine later, and use the v-belt setup it came with.

I'd like to see if I can get the trans mount on the zf to bolt in where the original trans cross-member holes are. I've been told if i can make that happen then I can use the later years 1 piece drive-shaft as a bolt in, with the np205. then based on that all hooking up i could place the engine mounts accordingly.

also reusing the duraspark setup it came with.

I've got a truck/van oil pan. gotta buy the oil filter relocation kit still

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals